Sunday, August 26, 2012



Thank Heaven for Mama!

    I don’t know how it all happened in the eternal perspective and creation of life and timing, but I am truly thankful to my Heavenly Father for handpicking such a wonderful mother for me.  My viewpoint of motherhood will differ from my siblings because I was the caboose. Because of that placement I feel so blessed.  I believe with full heart that being the youngest has definite advantages: example, example, example and then some.  I have sweet memories by the hundreds of being with my mother. I was her little, final sidekick and friend. My memories hold  profound moments that have shaped and molded my life. 
  
     Mother said on numerous occasion that her home was a ‘labratory of learning.’ Even though she never went on to college she continued to educate and fill her mind. I considered she had earned her Masters in so many areas. She didn’t seem to shy away from any task. I recall with clearity that she said, 'Shauna, if some one has done it  - so can you.' or 'There is no such word as can't.'   One watching her would realize that she was willing to study or learn from others until she became skilled. She was an excellent seamstress and made all of my clothes. By all rights and compliments she was a master gardner. Mama won countless baking contests. Was a published author of numerous articles. Many people appreciated her inspirational teaching. Little did they know she would spend a good month preparing for every lesson she gave. Fully focused and devoted as a wife and dedicated wife. Mother was the family barber and prided herself in saving the money that would have been charged.  Watching her cut the hair of her sons not only saved money, but it gave her one on one time with her children. 
Mother was the perfect example to me of motherhood. Now mind you, she wasn’t perfect, and I know that, but she was as close to it as I needed. I will treasure my time that I had by her side. Whether she was teaching me to play piano, instructing how make the perfect sewing stitch, plant the peas, can the peaches, write a poem, or polish off a talk. One knew she was keenly focuses on being “mother.”  
I was blessed as I listened to her read her written articles long before submitting them. Sometimes I thought she wrote them just because I needed to hear the words, without them coming directly from her lips-- it worked.       
For me, mother was my personal “life coach.”  I smile as I reflect upon the hours spent behind the highback chair working with me on my speeches. ‘Polish makes perfect,’ she would say. It didn’t matter if I was the little twelve year old, or the twenty year old who was giving a talk. She could render the best direction, the best suggestions.  Now mind you, I have had at least twenty speech and drama teachers, but mother was the best of them all.
    Many people pay big money to have a Life coach, clearly she was mine. A mentor, cheerleader, model, example, motivational... Mother was just what I needed. Let me share a moment of light. I wanted to try out for cheerleader at Irving Jr. High. Mother said she had the perfect cheer--no one would know it. I was surprised as she described for me  that she had once upon a time been a cheer leader on the field. I wasn’t quite ready as she began to demonstrate the cheer she used in high school. A bit dated for sure, but it will be forever embedded in my mind as I watched mama dance around the front room-- in a dress, yelling out:
        Your pep!  Your pep!
       You’ve got it - Now keep it!
       Dog-gone ya don’t loose it!
       Your pep!  You’re pep
      “Don’t loose it.” - But I miss her. Just the thought of her makes the tears arrive. She would smile now saying, ‘Tears make you beautiful.’ But she would be pleased to know that she is remembered. Oh,  I miss her soothing words of comfort, strong words of faith and support. I miss her laughter. I miss our conversations - daily they were. I miss her touch, her smile, the way she would look into my eyes. [ because they reminded her of Daddy’s ].  She always had answers or knew how to fix everything. She was incredible! I pray she knows how grateful I am for her life within my heart. 
    I believe mother did so many things well, but most of all  -- top of the list: I am thankful she instilled within me with the knowledge that God is real, and very interested--personally interested in our lives. Mother lived a life drenched in the spirit of faith.  I pause as I think of the profound enduring touches she has left for many. I watched her face cancer, becoming a widow, heart challenges, age, but through it all I heard her testify: ‘You must have unwavering faith.’  ‘Don’t ever give up on the Lord.’ ‘Trust in the Lord.’  ..and there just isn’t space enough to share her favorite scriptures.---But to me, she became scripture. 
      I think of the time just before she turned 80. We were planning  a celebration for her birthday at the Lion House in Salt Lake City. I was putting together a little booklet, a tribute to her. I wanted  her to share her personal testimony of Jesus Christ. I gave her the assignment to write it down so that it could be part of the booklet.  If it took Mama a month to prepare a lesson, just imagine what it would be to have her write her feelings about the gospel.  Prior to publishing it I sat down with her as she asked, “Could you listen to it and let me know if I say it right.’ 
    It was like I was young again. It was a sweet spiritual moment to sit across the room and listen to her reveal her testimony within the written word. We cried together as truth was born within our living room. 
    Mother later called me on the phone and inquired, ‘Shauna, can you add this to my testimony?’  Followed by other days with the same request. Her testimony continued to grow and so I added more paragraphs.
     I hope that is how it will be with me-- a growing testimony until I touch heaven.
      So, you can see why I thank heaven for my mother. She instilled with in me the want of a family. To believe and see God in all things. She gave me the desire to serve, to care, to learn, to live by the spirit. She showed me how to enjoy and embrace the good. 
She was my personal coach and fulltime cheerleader. Who continues to influence me to be a ready usuable instrument in the hand of the Lord.       
       May we each give a cheer to all mothers!  
Your PEP!  Your PEP !=   [ Personal Eternal Perspective] 
Don’t loose it!
        Have a great sabbath day - and Mother’s Day!!! 

Feel the hug! and smell the violets!

No comments:

Post a Comment