Sunday, August 26, 2012



       SHAKE A LEG & ENJOY IT!
     
by Shauna V. Brown 

       Yesterday I attended the baptism of my first born grandson, Sebastian Scott Brown. It seems like yesterday when we gathered together that Christmas morning in the hospital room to join in the celebration of Sebi's birth. 
         I watched as Sebi and his Grandpa Rick stepped into the ‘cold’ baptismal water together.  Upon hearing Sebi sigh, “It’s cold!” Caused me to draw upon the story of my Great Grandfather, John Peter R. Johnson.  Who, upon hearing the doctrines of Jesus Christ, he wanted to be baptized - that very day.  It was a cold December winter in Denmark, and the pond had at least 16 inches of frozen ice upon it. The Elders had to cut a hole in the ice in order for him to be baptized.  I’m sure it was more than cold, and warmth didn’t come easy for that early pioneer. I am so grateful for his example to his posterity, and to me. I am equally grateful that I was taught gospel principles in my childhood home that have given me a firm foundation of trusting in my Heavenly Father and my Savior- Jesus Christ.
I couldn’t help but tear up as we were singing the closing children’s hymn.The words are so simple, but touched the very strings of my heart. I know music is woven into my spirit and my emotions couldn’t be restrained. 

I like to look for rainbows when ever there is rain
and ponder on the beauty of an earth made clean again.

CHORUS:
I want my life to be as clean as Earth right after rain
I want to be the best I can,
and live with God again.

I know when I am baptized my wrongs are washed away,
and I can be forgiven and improve myself each day
CHORUS:
I want my life to be as clean as Earth right after rain
I want to be the best I can,
and live with God again.

  I have always loved rainbows, sunflowers, billowing fluffy clouds and vivid sunsets. So it should be of note that ever since I was a little girl I wanted to be a ‘sunbeam,’ --to shine for him each day, but most of all   “I want to be the best I can, and live with God again.”
      I love events when families gather together. Grateful for birthdays, baptisms, blessings, and ‘cutting of the cake’ moments. Times when families ‘drop by’ just to say hello, family dinners, and “Girls night out with Papa.” Time to share memories, challenges and times of humble family prayers are soothing to me. I love the times to just gather. 

 As a school child I loved and looked forward to doing the “Hokey-Pokey”.  
You all remember doing it?
You put your right hand in,     You put your right hand out,
You put your right hand in,    And you shake it all about,
You do the hokey pokey and you turn yourself around
That what it’s all about.
I have found we are caught doing the Hokey-Pokey of life, 
and I know that 
it’s the family - 
.....that’s what it’s all about! 
  
  I believe putting my whole self into the purpose of having an eternal family is central to the plan of God. Sometimes we do get shaken all about, and turned around and upside down, but when the dance is finished we laugh, smile, and give hugs and kisses. We thank God that we can do the dance--together. We realize that with God our hokey experiences will increase our understanding and our need to rely on Heavenly Father - who is leading His winding followers.
     Yes,  I want to live with God again, but I want to be surrounded by those that I love so much.  I can’t imagine heaven without family. 
My prayer is that we will have the strength to hold out our hands and lift those around us who are trying to figure out if it’s the right hand, or left. If it’s the right path, or when and where to turn. There will come times when we see one another trip and fall, and I want someone who cares to help lift me up and share a giggle or two.  Together we can dust ourselves off and start all over again, it's part of God's plan. 
        The beauty of the Hokey-Pokey, is that we all love doing it. I recall the many times we would beg our school teacher,  “Please, again, let us do it again!”   Frequently she would consent with a knowing smile, “Alright, we’ll do it again.”

   What is life for if we are not created to shake a leg or two?
As long as we turn about and face the direction
 we are meant to go.”          ~ svb

   Let me conclude: Lamentations 3:40
                       Let us search and try our ways, and turn again to the Lord.   

Enjoy your Sabbath. 

No comments:

Post a Comment