Sunday, August 26, 2012



Let Me Lift My Voice

       Early yesterday morning Rick and I drove past the Pleasant Grove Cemetary. A scout troup was busy placing flags upon the graves of those who had served in the military.  I was in awe of the number of flags waving in the breeze.  It was as if the flags were encouraging us to remember that many have died - preserving our freedoms.
         
      My mother taught the ‘Constitution’ in Relief Society for years. It was through her studies I came to an early understanding and love for America.  This country is literally a gift from God. Divinely planned and prepared for FREEDOM.  Mother and I would go to the library and select books about some of the founding fathers. We studied the lives of Patrick Henry, Betsey Ross, Paul Revere, George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, Abigal Adams, and many others.  I believe that was the time I fell in love with historical figures and their missions in life.  Equally loved were my ancestors who came to America for freedoms not enjoyed in their homelands.
      While attending Utah State University I was asked to give a talk, “I Am Proud to Be An American”. I remember with great gratitude the preparation and research while writing it, and presenting. To this very day I am proud to be an American.  
     Then I became a performer with the Sounds of Freedom from Brigham Young University, and the Young Ambassadors. 
I was blessed to be chosen as one of six girls and six young men to tour the orient for USO United Service Organizations. (USO) is a private, nonprofit organization that provides morale and recreational services to members of the U.S. military.  It was during three months of entertaining the troups of Korea, Japan, Okinawa, Taiwan, that my love for America grew in greater porportions. 
 I performed for military soldiers on bases large and small. I shall never forget the bullets zinging past the bus as we traveled to a hidden military base on the DMZ of North Korea. It was truly scary and the reality of war was clear, evident and personal. To observe military force first hand, and realize what our soldiers face daily was eye opening. 
      Because of an inner ear infection and exhaustion issues I was forced to experience a brief hospital stay. I was shipped off to Okinawa. That confinement brought home even a greater love of America and those who bravely fight and defend our freedoms. 
I shall never forget the evening when a nurse rushed into my room and yelled, “We need you, and we need you now!” Before I could even comprehend the need she had loaded me into a wheel chair and quickly wheeled me down the hallway while enlighting me of the situation, “We’ve got a soldier, he heard there was a girl from Utah in the hospital. He says ‘I want to talk to the Utah girl.’  I quickly realized that I hadn’t been summoned for a simple chit chat session. 
           “He’s going to die!”  The nurse said as she rolled me into the room and close to his bed. Clearly there was no time for introductions.        
          “Call and tell my Mother that I love her, and that I tried hard to serve my country. Tell my brothers and my little sis that they will be in my prayers.”  I shook my head that I would. It was as if he realized he had but a few moments to express his last wishes--to a Utah girl.  He was barely breathing by then and I knew the nurse was right, as within a moment his breathing stopped and he was gone. The nurse reached over and closed his eyes. That was my first experience with someone dying right before me. I could now put a face on all those ‘unknown soldiers.’  Later that day the nurse brought me his personal contact information. I don’t recall his name now, but  I still can see the look on his face as he faded away from life. 
     When I returned home  two months later I made the promised phone call and expressed to his mother his final wishes and thoughts. I gave her my most accurate recall of the moments, his facial expressions... anything she asked of me. She greatly appreciated my call, but I realized that no words, even his words, could bring the desired comfort.
     For that one week in the hospital I was rolled into many rooms.  I was able to see many soldiers who have paid a great price for freedom. For some of them they will forever suffer. I saw men struggling to itch their toes only to realize they had no feet. Some so disoriented they thought I was their wife. I have watched as men were trying to learn how to eat without hands. While others could no longer could see. Some soldiers so wrapped and gaused as half of their body had been blow away. Imagine their lives - forever changed.  
I was visiting with a young soldier when he recieved a letter from home. He was so excited as he noticed the return address,“It’s from my wife.”  I watched as he quickly pulled the pages from the envelope and began reading it. His expressions instantly changed while he was reading.  Tears welled up in his eyes. His excitement turned to sadness as he offered quietly, “She’s leaving me, she says she can’t live with a cripple.”  I gasped in disbelief. That was such a sad, sad moment. I have pondered that scene in my mind over and over. If only his wife could have been standing in that hospital room as I was, surrounded by five other soldiers who had been rendered ‘crippled for life,’ would she have been so quick to surrender her love, support, because of a missing leg?  
     Because of those experiences with the military, and family histories,  I have a broader sense of sacrifice, life changes and the prices paid for the true value of freedom.  

         I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending 
too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it. 
~ Thomas Jefferson

We fight not to enslave, but to set a country free, and to make room 
upon the earth for honest men to live in. ~ Thomas Paine

     Reflecting back upon those days as I sang and danced upon stages, or was rolled from room to room in the hospital, I shall long appreciate those men and woman who stepped up for the cause of my freedom, my voice, and my choice.

      Freedom is standing up and declaring that it is a God given 
right for all people. I have seen blood spilt for the cause of it. 
I would rather not see blood spilt at all,  but for those who have shed
          it I give my thanks.” ~ Shauna Brown 


     I’m am thankful and proud to be an American. I state this firmly. None of us can take our rights and freedom lightly.  It has been said that history can repeat itself. If that is the case we must all be aware.  There are more Hitlers, Stalins, Freuds, Marxs and others who are ready to step up and step in with their causes. We must be wise and discerning... or it could be to our demise.  

      One of my favorite educators is Karl G. Maeser, he stated, “I would rather have my child exposed to smallpox, typhus fever, cholera, or other malignant and deadly diseases than to the degrading influence of a corrupt teacher. It is infinitely better to take chances with an ignorant, but pure-minded teacher than with the greatest philosopher who is impure.” 


    So fly your flags high.  Be proud of the stars and stripes. Let us all take a moment to express our love of God, freedom, and the home of the brave.  May you enjoy this sabbath day and the right to worship.

     Love to all,
     Shauna          

No comments:

Post a Comment