Sunday, August 26, 2012



Spirit Tapping


by Shauna Brown 

Winston Churchill said, “To every man there comes that special moment when he is figuratively tapped on the shoulder and offered the chance to do a special thing unique to him and fitted to his special talent. What a tragedy if that moment finds him unprepared or unqualified for the work which would be his finest hour.”

    I’m sure we all ponder our purposes here on earth. In fact, I have found I continue to ask myself - ‘If I am to be a usuable and ready instrument in the hands of God... what should I be doing?’    
As a young girl of twelve I decided to enter a speech contest. The ultimate wish of my heart was to win a trophy. No one in our family had ever won one. Mother had won numerous awards and prizes for her cooking, writing, sewing. My sister was a talent concert pianist. All of my brothers were talented and venturing into productive careers. I hoped that by winning a trophy I would be noticed for achieving something.  I could even see the golden trophy placed on the double tier table in the front room.  
      You see, being the youngest  of six children and watching all the accomplishments of those ahead of me was-- intimidating.  I wanted to be noticed with some form of accomplishment as well.  
     Mother helped me write the talk for the speech festival.  Parts of it I can still repeat and remember to this very day.  For weeks I practiced, memorized and polished it.  Ultimately I won the competition and my desired trophy.  Mama placed it  upon the table just as I had imagined it would be. 
Now looking back upon that experience I realize that I was following a God-given prompting, or as stated above-- a tapping on the shoulder. At that early point of my life, was when my Heavenly Father wanted me to learn to express myself, gain confidence and be able to stand before people and share. In so doing, it has become such a blessing in my life. I can see where I was divinely lead.
I have been able to look back at other times and see as well when the Lord has given sweet impressions and feelings upon my heart.  I will call this a spirit tapping moment.
Eighteen years ago I was asked to write a play about the Willie and Martin Handcart pioneers.  Because of that spirit tapping, I have  come to realize how the Lord knew those early saints could have a needed and lasting impact and influence upon my life. Their words would be key to my life’s mission and journey.  Those saints have lifted my spirit when it has been heavy. I have even heard their whispering words - ‘fresh courage,’ 'you can do this', 'you can do hard things.'  These were saints who had left loveones, homelands, everything, to pull a wooden handcart across the country in pursuit of religious freedoms as well as facing the unknown. They only had seventeen pounds of food and clothing to live on. None of them had a roof over their heads. Many of those early pioneers have been such an example of faith, and their lives continue to inspire me. I never dreamed that people living nearly two hundred years ago could step into my life and leave such a marked influence.
     Not that long ago I stood by Patience Loader’s gravesite. It’s located five miles from my home. She is one of my best, old, old friends born in 1827. I offered up my prayers of appreciation for her taking the time to write in her journal. Frequently I have read her words.  Her testimony holds a special place in my soul.   It is of little wonder then that because of Patience, Sara Jane, Ephriam, Josiah, Hosea, Elizabeth . . . that music, scripts, books, poetry, have evolved.  That I have shared their stories over and over again.
Each of us will be tapped upon our shoulders, or whispered words will come. It is then we must come to realize that we all have a special calling, or God given need. 
        I’m excited as I look forward to all the possibilities that life offers, and to anticipate the spirit tapping. Hopefully, I will be ready, willing and able. 
My wishes as a young girl of twelve was simply to receive a golden trophy.  Now I understand, and see far more clearly the greater gift.  God is most mindful of each of us. Let us be mindful of Him.    Forever I will be grateful for touching and tapping of my young girl heart.

   Make it a great sabbath day.
Love to all,

No comments:

Post a Comment