Sunday, August 26, 2012


It's Spring!         Blessings Within the Blossom



by Shauna V. Brown

     There is something invigorating about springtime. I know that this year I have rejoiced as I have watched the bursting of the blossoms. There should be a holiday for this event. It seems the trees are singing out their souls with “popcorn balls that could smell so sweet” -- delicate flowers. Flowers that announce the hope of new possibilities.  
I almost pucker as I imagine a Granny green apple sprinkled with salt. Or recall as my mother would slice a golden pear dripping in yummy sticky juice.  I can’t forget the cherries, or the fuzzy peaches either. My mother used to slice the peaches and sprinkle them with sugar to my delight and lip licking joy. I tried to duplicate those visions and memories for my own family. 
     Daily I drive past some of the old fruit stands on State Street.  Most of the fruit stands are closed now and many of the fruit farms have been sold.   One of the fruit stands has sat vacant for at least eleven years that I know of. The metal baskets are rusting and the walls of the building are falling in.  I drive past a couple of the remaining farms and rejoice for those last few fruit farmers that treasure the harvest. Thank heavens for memories that help us recall times past. 
Sometimes I can even see my daddy and mother load up the car with baskets and cardboard boxes of fresh grown produce. In fact I recall that yearly mother had daddy drive us all the way to an Orem hillside to get some cherries from the orchard she used to pick in as a child.  It was one memory she “cherrished.” That orchard is gone now, replaced by homes and schools.  But I can still taste the cherries and giggle with the thought of just  how many I could eat before I would get sick to my stomach. Awe, such sweet memories.
From my Lindon seminary I can look down and see a blanket of pink and white blossoms.  I realize that in a few coming years there will be few if any fruit farms. Time does change things. 
      It seems my life’s path has been framed in blossoms.  I have been surrounded in possibilities and blessings.  Growing up in a loving home, surrounded by a family who truly cared for one another. I believe we were ‘hand picked’ and selected to be together.  One of our blossomed blessings was that we had a father who was committed and dedicated to his wife and family. A mother who constantly worked in providing a warm, nurturing home.  Together my parents sought the necessary environment for a thriving harvest. Granted, we were not all cherries or peaches. We were a hardy variety bunch. We were taught to enjoy the light and seek the living water. We were taught the gospel of Jesus Christ. For that I am eternally grateful. Bless you mother and daddy! 
      Just like the fruit farmer I see  the ‘family’ is being threatened. Today we hear that fewer are sensing the need for home or family. Many feel the family it is outdated, too much work, or selfishly - to expensive.
As a little girl I thought everyone wanted to be a mother or father, and have bunches of children and gather them for family prayer, and dinners around the table.  Sadly I know that fewer and fewer are seeing the purpose or the blessing within the blossoms.  Working with the young single adults we are realizing that fewer believe in the need for marriage, committment, or children.
         
    I recall with vividness my mother sharing some of the sad stories of those living at the Atria Assisted Care Center with her. There were many who had never had any visitors. Some shared how their lives just didn’t include having a family. Their career was top priority. Some had chosen to remain single. There were widows who had not been able to have children, or didn’t want any. Many expressed to mother how they envied her constant stream of family visits.  Frequently they shared their regrets in having chosen that independent path. There were no blossoms to frame their pictures. No one to remember or recall memories. Their lives were now very lonely.
     Blessings Within the Blossoms.... yes, family is a sweet blessing to savor. The greatest blessing we can savor is our Savior.  Hopefully, we might all consider that the apple  (each one of us ) doesn't fall far from the tree. 
     Every time I see an apple sliced I think of my sweetheart Rick. Frequently he would create a tray of goodies to share with his children, or guests.  Peanut butter and apples, cheese and crackers, red twisty vines, and “come catch the bubbles”--7up.  Smiles were always expressions of gratitude and 
     “Man is that he might have joy.” 
There is nothing like an armful of hugs and squeezes and dancing children. I believe joy comes by counting the blessings, expressing gratitude, and extending to others the joy in having children.  I count each one of mine as a great blessing--and miracle.  I too know that each was handpicked and selected for our Brown’s Sunshine Factory.  
        I looked out the window and what did I see? 
Blossoms of joy given unto me.  Oh, my soul doth delight!!
     Last weekend our family was gathered for an Easter celebration. Briant was offering the family prayer when he prayed that Heavenly Father might bless “Baby Brown”.  To everyones surprise and joy.  Egg-actly-- another blessing and eternal blossom is beginning to grow on our family branch.  Rejoice!  It is spring once again.    Congratulations Camille and Briant!  Baby Bud is due in October.
     Love to all! 
Have a sunshine day. . . with a cherry on top!

No comments:

Post a Comment