Sunday, August 26, 2012



Some Must Push and Some Must Pull

    by Shauna Brown 

For the past seventeen years I have focused a good portion of my time and talent writing scripts about pioneers. Scripts ranging from major stage plays, monologues, reader theatres for pioneer treks.  It has been an uplifting and rewarding experience. Never dreamed that words written would be performed from coast to coast and continent to continent.   I treasure with great appreciation the opportunity to research pioneer histories. Pioneer journals and ‘their’ stories have enriched my life. In fact, those stories have lifted me at times when I needed an affirmation of trust, perserverance, faith and comfort.  Those pioneers are sweet blessings in my life.
     Frequently I am taken back to 14 Gatehouse Lane in Sandy, Utah. It was there I was asked by our stake president, Stewart Glazier, to write a stage production about the Willie and Martin Handcart Companies. Most mornings around 2-3:00 I would rise early as a melody or thought would rush through my mind. My fingers couldn’t keep up with the melodies. Tears would frequent my cheeks as I felt so close to those who had walked those frozen pathways.
    I have been blessed to testify weekly of those precious saints to those seeking music and scripts to perform. I have loved stepping into their shoes if only for a moment to testify of their courage and faith. In so doing I have found a firm foundation upon which I can walk.  I have had moments where I have encouraged others, as well as myself to ‘pick up the handcart and keep moving.’ 
   This week I found  a sweet thought. I felt so at home with it.  I emailed it to all of the seminaries as I know the teachers are always needing an extra lift. I sent it off as well to some of my family members. I love it. 

“When our wagon gets stuck in the mud, God is much more likely to assist the 
man who gets out to push than the man who merely raises his voice in 
prayer—no matter how eloquent the oration.” 
Pres. Dieter F. Uchtdorf

     It is my testimony that God and Jesus Christ are very much aware of each one of us.  Some times we wonder and question our worth, life’s direction, and if we will be strong enough to face the coming challenges.  Some of us feel stuck in the mud at times.  That is when we must all get out and push and pull one another.  
     Tender mercies to me are those moments when a thought, a voice, a bird flying overhead, even a billowing cloud with a silver-gold lining  gives me a moment to count my blessings. It is then I realize I must load up my personal handcart and push forward.  
     My pioneer friends had a vision of life eternal. They were willing to sacrifice all, to leave their loveones, their possessions and step into the unknown.  More than any other time in my life -- I love them more. I cherish their words, and their willingness, their strict obedience.  They realized that life is brimming full with possibilities and promises of a loving God.   
     I have watched numerous actors step into the shoes of Francis Webster, a pioneer favorite and share his stirring words:
“Not one of that company ever apostasized or left the church because 
every one of us came through with the absolute knowledge that God 
lives for we became acquainted with him in our extremities.
I have looked ahead and seen a patch of sand or a hill slope and I have said, 
I can go that far and there I must give up.  When I reached it, the cart began 
pushing me.  I have looked back many times to see who was pushing my cart, 
but my eyes saw no one.
I knew then that the angels of God were there.  The price we paid to become 
acquainted with God was privilege to pay.  I know that God was there.”
      It’s it wonderful that each new day we have the opportunity to step forward, pull on, and in some cases push others to seek the higher road.  
     If this life is the time and goal for all of us to prepare to meet God.  Then I must ask: “What’s in our handcart?” 
     What price, sacrifice, time are we willing to give to know God? 
     Francis Webster.... ‘the price we paid to become acquainted with God was privilege to pay.’
      Make the best of this sabbath day.  
      Love to all,
Shauna
Have a sunshine day. . . with a cherry on to

No comments:

Post a Comment