Sunday, August 26, 2012


            "Knees Please"

by Shauna Brown 

  On my bedroom widowseal sits a small framed thought: “Perfect prayers are always answered; proper petitions are always granted. The Lord never rejects a prayer uttered by the power of the spirit, or denies a petition sought in the name of christ, that accords with the divine will.”
~ Elder Bruce R. McConkie 
I have reflected upon this thought frequently. Are my prayers perfect? Are my requests too much for the Lord?  Does He tire from hearing the same petition? Are my concerns trivial?  
I think we all know the answer to that. Nothing is impossible for the Lord. His desire is that we pray. In our prayers we can  gain and eternal perspective of life, things that are of greatest importance. It is so easy to become distracted by the daily living and worldly invitations. 
   While reflecting, and I encourage everyone to do this - think back to those humble and critical prayers you have offered. You will find as I did, it was a special spiritual review, as well as a humbling recognition of God’s hand in my life. Those prayers spanned years of time and moments when I felt divine help was needed. 
I recall the tears I shed and prayers I offered as a very young girl, as I wanted my brother Alfred to bring his little boy Steven home from heart surgery.  Or the time when my brother Robert was run over and critically injured. Worried as Alfred and LuRee nearly lost their lives by a drunk man seeking to end his life. Mother and her cancer, Daddy and Parkinsons, Michael’s appendix, Miriam’s cancer . . . 
Concerns and prayers as time and time again, mother and daddy would gather us together. “We need the help of the Lord. ”  I realize even more today how my parents sought to bring heaven to earth.  How frequently I would find my parents on their knees in prayer.  
           I shall never forget the moment I  saw my mother praying by her bed early one morning.  It wasn’t an unusal sight, but when I heard her say my name I listened more intently as she prayed aloud to God for me and my choices. That was a moment when my tears couldn’t be contained. I knew of her love, and felt of HIS. That was a time that has bore witness over and over again to me of the power within the prayer. 
          Mama and Daddy called their home a “Heaven on Earth.” - how close they came. They invited the spirit into our home daily. It was an environment that taught us to trust in God, and know that answers to prayers will come.  I treasure the picture in my mind of our family kneeling upon the sky blue carpet in the living room, surrounded by French provential furniture much like the furniture in the Salt Lake Temple. It was a pattern with a purpose.  
At the conclusion of the family prayer we hugged and kissed each other. I know it will be just like that in heaven. 
Our family had their ups and downs.. but mostly because we were praying.  svb

As Rick and I married and had children our petitions grew. Our own little family prayers varied from blessing the bugs and dark scary nights. Growing into prayers to bring a child home safe and sound. "Knees Please", for inviting the spirit into our home. Uniting in prayers for an unborn child.  Prayers to heal a broken wing.  Prayers to calm a trouble heart. Prayers for direction. Prayers for our missionaries. . . .   
       
The reality for all of us is : 
Prayer is a gift and a blessing~ We bring the ribbon and God ties the bow. svb 
            To know that in some incredible way God hears our petitions. He is mindful of every one of them. It is within his power to answer them in an instant, but knows that timing, patience, silence, could possibly could be the best teacher. 

In the good book, The Bible, it states: 
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven:
A time to be born, and a time to die; a time to plant, and a time to pluck up that which is 
planted; . . .A time to weep, and a time to laugh; a time to mourn, and a time to dance; . . .a time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing; . . .a time to keep silence, and a time to speak.    Ecclesiastes 3:1–2, 4–5, 7

It’s in that perfect plan of God we find ourselves fully dependent upon his love, and will.  A time to trust, a time to be nurtured in faith, a time to ponder God’s purposes.   A time to review His hand, His words, His love within each of our lives.

Elder Neal A. Maxwell said: “Since faith in the timing of the Lord may be tried, let us learn to say not only, ‘Thy will be done,’ but patiently also, ‘Thy timing be done.’

So for this Sabbath day - Look to God and Live and offer a prayer of gratitude for everything we have. Where would we be without that sunrise? Double rainbows came yesterday. Don’t forget that breathe taking sunset - for it is a testament that HE is painting peace within the setting of the sun.

God Bless You All This Sabbath!

No comments:

Post a Comment