Sunday, August 26, 2012


     Remember You Are A Gift- 

     by Shauna V. Brown 

     Recently Rick and I had the sweet experience of caring for Brittany and Steve Helm’s children for four days: Noah 7, Reed 5, Jamison 3, and Paige 1.
    One of my favorite moments was when young Jamison would always volunteer to pray-- at every prayer time.   I was touched as each time Jamison would ask the Lord to bless and protect not only his parents, but everyone else that he knew. Bless the chickens so they will lay more eggs. Bless the sun. Bless Sunny and Papa, Bless Ruby. Bless Tootsie and Grandpa B, Bless Noah and his BB game today. Bless my cut . . . .
        His prayers turned my mind back to those prayers that my young children had offered. Some with similar, long and lengthy requests. How eager they were to be called upon to render their words to the Lord.
         I often think back to one of my favorite times of the day. I truly loved preparing for nighttime in the Sunshine Factory. Anticipated bubble baths, fluffy pajamas, and cuddle time with each of my children. That was a blessing all by itself.
         "Stories read
           Prayers said.
           Hug and a kiss-before bed." svb 
     Then, while tucking them in Rick or I would ask a quick little question before the goodnight kiss, “Who loves you?” 
     At that point they would respond..
       
“Heavenly Father - Jesus - Mommy-Daddy- Grandma-- . . . and down the family tree.
       Hopefully, each of my children will remember those moments and prayers where we tried to instill within them,who they really are --a  child of God. Often we expressed that they were a gift from God. How blessed we felt to have them as a member of our family, who loved and wanted them.
       Now, I watch as my own children are enjoying and experiencing parenthood for themselves. It makes my heart rejoice to see the ripple effect of love and sunshine.  
     President Gordon B. Hinckley shared:
        “Imagine how our own families, let alone the world, would change if we vowed to keep faith with one another, strengthen one another, look for and accentuate the virtues in one another, and speak graciously concerning one another. Imagine the cumulative effect if we treated each other with respect and acceptance, if we willingly provided support. Such interactions practiced on a small scale would surely have a rippling effect throughout our homes and communities and, eventually, society at large.”  
Gordon B. Hinckley, 
Standing for Something: 10 Neglected Virtues That Will Heal Our Hearts and Homes   

        So this day I thank my Father in Heaven for children, “perfectly picked for me, as well as the rest of the Brown’s Sunshine Factory. Grateful that each one of them are striving to lift and love one another.  I love knowing that their best friends are their family.
        A good friend of mine made a chilling statement one day while visiting her. She said that her father had never told her that he loved her. In fact, as he lay in a hospital bed (suffered a heart attack) she inquired of him if he loved her. In frustration with his delay in answer   She then said, “Father, If I simply say, 'Rhonda, I love you.’  Then just shake your head if you do love me.’ 
     Now note, being in the hospital had nothing to do with his speech. He could talk if he wanted to. Then Rhonda continued, "I’m just grateful that he shook his head and then answered, 'yes.'  Clearly it was difficult for him to express love to me."
        Imagine it, Rhonda was in her mid forties before she ever heard him express his love for her - and yet it had to be induced.
        If I could stand on the roof top and yell aloud to all the world, I would proclaim of God’s love for me and everyone. That he knows us personally, cares about us personally. Answers our personal prayers, and is more than excited to express his love daily and openly.  We just have to look for it. It comes in all shapes and sizes, words, squeezes and ripples of goodness.
        When Noah came into the kitchen holding an egg from the chicken coop--freshly laid,  I smiled with the miracle of it.  Simple blessing! Simple gifts.  Look around, look up, and rejoice in the miracle of life and God’s goodness....See the good in one another and then go out and cause a bit of a ripple yourself.
        Smile more! Serve more! Speak up and give a compliment. Tell someone you love them. 
See the good. Remember who loves you... and pass it on! 

   Have a great Sabbath! 

No comments:

Post a Comment