Sunday, August 26, 2012


Praise the Lord • Sing Hallelujah! 
• He is Risen

by Shauna V. Brown 


    In 1987 Rick and  I traveled as guests of Rev. Sun Yung Moon to Korea.  We, along with about 20 other Latter-day Saints were invited as representatives for the church.   Rick and I were serving as advisors to the Young Single Adults at the time. 
This experience would prove to be life changing experience for me.  I must admit when we first considered going I was nervous as I definately didn’t consider myself well scholared in the Bible. I knew we would be surrounded and exposed to numerous beliefs. I didn’t want to embarrass anyone with my lack of knowledge.  I was mostly concerned about the “Bible Belt” folks as I believed most of them would be Bible scholars.
  Upon arrived in Korea we were placed within  buses to travel to a conference center. Rev. Sun Yung Moon was spending  thousands, if not milliions of dollars to hold weekly conferences to expose people to his beliefs. We were his guests. He had been holding similar conferences for over a year. Our conference hosted about 5- 600 people from all over America. There were individuals representing the Methodists, Quakers, Unitiarians, Baptists, Mennonites, Penticostals, Evangelicals, everyone one including the Pastor for the “Church on the Corner.”  
It was all exciting as we met many Pastors, Priests, leaders and companions. So interesting to learn about their beliefs. It truly was an event I have thanked my Heavenly Father for. It was a smorgasbord of spiritual learning. Not about what I believed, but what others believed, and then what they would believe of me. Would the see the similiarities? Would they seek to understand? 
       The ride from the airport was a bit of a distance and so the advisor assigned to our bus led a discussion with us concerning our varied and different faiths. Our advisor was warm and welcoming, and had the ability to allow everyone to relax.  I can’t recall how it happened, I only can remember with vivid sweetness the moment when he asked if I might share a favorite song of our church. Instantly my mind was flooded with melodies. But I had no hymn book. I knew at least the first verse of many, The Spirit of God,  Oh, My Father, High on a Mountain Top, We Thank Thee Oh God for  Prophet, Jesus the Very Thought of Thee . What would and could reflect a special song for our religion?  I know that first impressions are critical.  I pondered for a moment. Then I felt to share one of my very favorites. I had sung it thousands of time when I was touring with the Sounds of Freedom and the Young Ambassadors. We would sing it at the conclusion of a performance. Many times it would render the audience to tears. 
 “I Am a Child of God”.   I told how our little primary children learn and sing this song. 
 Standing in the front aisle of the bus, holding the microphone and singing sweet words: 
    I am a child of God and He has sent me here. 
Has given me and earthly home with parents kind and dear. 
Lead me, guide me, walk beside me. Help me find the way. 
Teach me all that I must do. To live with Him some day.

          The words... are presious and true.  It wasn’t long before I realized that many were listening intently. I only wish that I could have had accompainment. However, it was and will forever be a tender memory for me.  It was amazing how many had no belief that we truly are children of a Heavenly Father.
 I looked into faces unknown to me, but I know God knew them. I prayed that I could see each one through His eyes. It was an experience that I shall always treasure.After many days and experiences I came to realize that a testimony of Jesus Christ is of great worth and a gift. A gift meant to share again and again.
One of my favorite moments came during a rally when revival music was being played. It was easy for me to stand and get involved and enjoy the rhythm. I clapped, sang loud and swayed with the crowd. [ Not everyone did)  Apparently many of the congregation thought I had received a witness of the spirit .  
         “You done got the Holy Ghost Sister! ”  I smiled, and answered, 
         “No I received that gift when I was eight.” Imagine the interest and conversation from then on. 

 I think we all need revivals.  Spiritual revivals...  Where we stand up and praise the Lord and invite everyone to enjoy the spirit, enjoy the light, and share the gratitude for having a Redeemer and Savior.  
        I believe I succeeded in spreading the joy and a bit of the "Mormon" in me when a few of the southern Pastors asked if they could have a picture taken with a real “Mormon Gal.”   
Perhaps Rev. Moon had another purpose in inviting so many to Korea & Japan--hoping to open our eyes to the world and what others believe.  I am thankful I took a step into the unknown.  I made new friends and enjoyed relationships and learned how blessed Rick and I were to spend 14 days sharing our testimony of Jesus Christ, our beliefs while studing scripture and rubbing shoulders with those seeking the same--‘Coming to Jesus.’ 
Isn’t that what life is all about? This is the time for all of us to prepare to meet God. 
Jesus Christ has given everything possible so that we ultimately can return to Him-- some day.  My goal is to strive daily to keep my thoughts, my actions and heart centered on Jesus Christ.
May we all  take a moment this week and rejoice in Jesus Christ, and his love for each of us. Let the congregation say   “AMEN!” 

Love to you all,
       Shauna

No comments:

Post a Comment