Sunday, August 26, 2012



“Be A Builder”

by Shauna V. Brown 


Yesterday Rick, Kate and I went to see the continuing construction of Brooke and Dan ‘s home.  At first when Dan told us it was going to take three months  to build I questioned the possibility of the timing. Could a house be built in such a short amount of time.  We stood on the lot just after the cement for the foundation was poured. We smiled with the beginning and anticipated blueprint design. With each visit I continue to be amazed  at just how quickly it is taking on the beauty of a home.  I marveled as one of the workers, carried one piece of huge sheetrock up the stairs by himself and tossed it around like it was a light piece of paper, at least it looked that way to me. I watched as other workers nailed on the trim. Skill full hands and equipment are indeed key to the art of home building. 
While waiting for Brooke and Dan to arrive I pointed out to Kate a man roofing on a nearby home.  There appeared even a rhythm to his stapling down the roof tiles. Within a matter of minutes he had laid a completed section of the roof.  It was apparent that time and time again they had all lifted, hoisted, stapled, hammered.... It was clear they didn’t waste time. They had developed the craftsmanship, and ability  by all appearances to  build and complete and hopefully upon completion we shall all say,  ‘job well done.’
      Building a home, takes more than mortar and brick. It takes time, patience, skill and desire. I have been so blessed to stand side by side with a great home builder.  I know many of you laugh or marvel that I can say that... especially those who have seen Rick with a hand saw, or plumbing tools. Yet, I see things even more clearly now, some forty years in the building.  I smile as I reflect upon those first moments and mistakes of parenthood. Who knew?  Who knew how to do it all right and perfectly?  
Tossed into action the moment a little babe came into our life. It instantly changed the dynamics of our peaceful, little heaven on earth. I’m sure heaven smiles, and sometimes giggle as angels watch the intense hammering moments of concern, despair and unknown. 
I reflect and can laugh with the thought of the moments when our little Heather threw up for the first time. Father Rick was on duty, and instantly held her up quickly, baby out stretched before him. With a puzzled look on his face he began running back and forth down the hallway, “What do I do? What do I do?” 
I replied, “Go into the bathroom.”  That moment was most  revealing. It wasn’t a pretty picture, and the clean up wasn’t pretty either.  It didn’t take long before he learned and recognized the symptoms and signs, where to go, and how fast to move there.   
 Now look at him, a seasoned father and Bishop with hundreds, no thousands, he has held up and carried until they knew and realized what to do, who to turn to, who to trust and where to go. 
      He is an incredible brick layer...Brick by brick.....Rick’s my pick.
      Yesterday Brooke shared that she had told her friend Nicole that growing up she remembers her mother always counseling, “Be a Builder.”
     I smiled and my mind flooded with gratitude and great appreciation for those who were brought into my heart to teach me how to be a builder. 
That roofer... that Kate and I watched will leave that roof, and will go to another. 
But parenting is never over or completed. I realize now that each of our homes, sunshine factories, have been and always will be ‘under construction.’  
Our Father in Heaven is allowing us the opportunity to learn to become builders of the best... to dwell someday in a home, a ‘perfect home’.  
Becoming  qualified, certified, as an eternal builder ... is the process through which our Heavenly Father allows us the opportunity to realize HE is the master builder and Christ is the foundation of all things.  
When we cry out for direction. He know exactly where to turn.
    When considering all the possibilities of parenthood we prayed and asked for special spirits -- children that would enrich and strengthen our lives. 
 I believe fully that each one of you were hand and heart picked by a loving Father in Heaven to come into our family. I am ever grateful for the lessons learned from each of you.  Even now my life continues to be enriched as we labor side by side - together.  What a blessing!  
Each one with their unique skills and talents for adding  and building to our family’s tool box.  Just thinking about all the blessings you have brought: Sense of humor, tidiness, sensitive, peacemaker, order, style, creative, thrifty, devoted, love of God, love of life, leader, kindness, gentleness, appreciative, genuine, talented, trustworthy, example, generous, gracious, patient, constant, faithful, steadfast, loving, to name just a few of the talents  and skills that our sunshine factory has been blessed to be surrounded with. I’m sure you can even think of more. Great blessings!  Great builders!

    I am so grateful that I was raised in a loving home. I was surrounded by many great builders. Thankful for two parents who were totally dedicated in daily fortifying our foundation, while laying brick by brick principles that would forever build faith.  I continue to feel of their strength within the walls of my heart as I can hear mother say, "we must have unwavering faith." 
 So as we each face our 'learning experiences' and learn how to hoist and lift what we might have thought impossible... there are tender mercies and puddle makers all around.  Thank heavens! 
 May our Father in Heaven know how much we appreciate being blessed with 'family.'


     The first year of marriage  Rick selected a thought:

      “You lift me, I’ll lift thee, and We’ll ascend together.”  
  • Quaker Proverb  

“You build me, I’ll build Thee, and we will all
             find a room in God’s mansion.”
  
That’s the goal! 

With Love Shauna
Have a sunshine day. . . with a cherry on top!

No comments:

Post a Comment