Sunday, August 26, 2012


       OPEN MY EYES

by Shauna V. Brown 

     Recently I signed up for ‘GodTube.’ I know it sounds a little uncomfortable, by name, but I want to stay as connected to God as I can. Hey, if Heavenly Father is communicating by any means I want to know about it!  (smile here )  I have discovered some wonderful Christian messages and music from seeking all sources of light. I am grateful for those who openly share their inspiriting thoughts. All that is good comes from a very loving heavenly family.
     Anyway, I clicked on one of the attached videos and was taken to tears as I listened to a father introduce his young 10 year old son, Christopher Duffley.  As a result of his mother being addicted to drugs he was born premature, blind, and autistic. He was taken out of foster care and then adopted by his aunt and uncle.  The song he sang has played over and over in my mind this morning.  “Open the eyes of my Heart”, by Michael W. Smith.  It’s a simple, repetitive song, but the thought behind the words touched a harmonistic cord of my own heart.  Just imagine a young boy who is blind singings it, and then think about the prayer for all of us. 
Let me share:
Open the eyes of my heart, Lord
Open the eyes of my heart
I want to see You I want to see You

Open the eyes of my heart, Lord    Open the eyes of my heart
I want to see You I want to see You

To see You high and lifted up Shinin’ in the light of Your glory
Pour out Your power and love As we sing holy, holy, holy

Holy, holy, holy         We cry holy, holy, holy
You are holy, holy, holy I want to see you

     I remember as a little girl being told that my grandfather, George Christopher Van Wagenen, was blind in his later life. He died the year before I was born. I recall that upon learning that he was blind, I tied a scarf around my eyes so I couldn’t see. I stumbled and bumped into everything. It was so hard for me to imagine what his life and the life of many living in darkness must be like. From that time on, I have always felt a sensitivity for those who live in a darkened world.  It was difficult as well to watch my own mother lose her vision. I frequently was asked to take her to her eye exams. To realize that her visual world was diminishing was hard for both of us.  Nothing, no doctors or surgery could retain her sight. Yet, though all of her difficulties she remained ever so grateful and positive for what she could see and do. Her love of reading and writing disappeared, and yet she opened her ears to listen to devotionals, beautiful music, as well as give requested council.  I loved hearing her bear her testimony, as it so frequently lifted mine. Mother surrounded herself with good thoughts, daily devotions, and continued prayers of gratitude for the light and love she felt from her Heavenly Father. 
      Everyone who knows me, knows that Helen Keller is a hero of mine, one who is a great example of overcoming challenges.  I have long loved her thoughts and when I heard the song, “Open the Eyes of My Heart, Lord” it made me further reflect upon Helen’s insights: 
The best and most beautiful things in the world 
cannot be seen or even touched. 
They must be felt within the heart.

       Imagine today if you couldn’t see, talk, or hear. Your life would have to make many adjustments. You would have to rely upon those things you once knew and then move forward in faith.  Imagine all the prayers Helen Keller had to make. She could have been bitter, and hated God, but from all my research she believed she was better because of it.  The things that she accomplished in life are miraculous. I’m sure today she and Mama are making the most of their visual blessings.
      We are all meant to have those ‘ah-ha’- open my eye, moments felt within the heart. Moments, that cause a flicker of hope, a lift of possibilities, a flood of gratitude, an overwhelming sense that divinity dwells within each one of us. 
      Sometimes, even though it seems impossible - there are poundings that signal us to change direction, re-evaluate, flee from and run for the light. We can take those stumbling moments and create stepping stones on our pathway. God eagerly removes the scarf from our eyes. We can all know with a surety that Heavenly Father has not left us alone.  We are not meant to walk in darkness, there is hope. Clearly we are surrounded by messages as well as messengers of truth. We just have to listen within the heart,and be open. Life is what we choose!  
       Isn’t it interesting that sometimes all one needs to do is take a walk and ponder, and realize that peace comes within each step. To sit and allow the soft beats to pulse within our hearts and discover the messages are there. To listen to the chirping crickets and realize that their cadence is a call for each of us to align ourselves with our maker. I love taking long baths for I have found there is something in the water that clears my thinking and refreshes my soul.  Good music vibrates my heart strings and with the listening of it, I believe I am tuning into the possibilities of blessings. We are surrounded by wonderful testimonies of God’s love and personal interest.
       I will continue to blow a kiss to God for hearing my prayers and whispering through the voices of angels. Angels who continue to bless and touch my life. Those who have given greater purpose and meaning to fashion my spirit, enhance my vision and strengthen my hope, while helping me to embrace my eternal purpose.  
        My prayer for today, might we all sing:.

Yes,  Open my eyes --- I want to see you.
See my Heavenly Father, and walk with Him someday.

        Let’s open our hearts and reach out to those who might possibly be along our pathway ...who might need to open their eyes, push away the darkness and feel of God's love for them. 

Have a great Sabbath

Blowing Sunshine Kisses,
Shauna 

No comments:

Post a Comment