Tuesday, September 24, 2013


                      To See Clearly. . .
by Shauna Brown 

        Yesterday, Rick and I went to have our windshield replaced. Never did I think it would afford a discussion of my beliefs. As Rick and I were sitting on an old wooden bench  in the open sunshine, a fellow employee of the service department approached us.  
        “You’re Ladder-day Saints, aren’t you?” 
        “Yes we are,” we affirmed, somewhat taken back, those being the first words out of his mouth.  
        “I’m not.” 
          I didn’t know what to expect. Instantly my mind took to thoughts of  wondering: ‘where is this going to lead? Will he want to talk about polygamy, Joseph Smith?  Would there be questions concerning gay rights, Book of Mormon, Blacks and the priesthood? Would he ask if Mormons truly are Christians or a cult,  should woman have the right to hold the Priesthood? 
 Lately it seems that there continues to be attention and focus upon the Church, beliefs, etc. 
         Then, equally as surprising he shared with enthusiasm, “I know the Bible, I have memorized it!  I have studied the Koran, studied Buddha's teachings. You know Moslems believe a lot of the same things Mormons do.”  He smiled and then he eagerly bubbled, “A good woman gave me the Book of Mormon, Pearl of Great Price, Doctrine and Covenants on CD. I don’t know how to read, so I listen and learn. I love it.  I know the Book of Mormon is important to everyone.” 
               He then eagerly shared concerning his love of God, noting that God had blessed him so much in life. Here was a man by all indications that was ‘barely making a living’ for his large family. He had been married a few times and had a bunch of children, his last wife gifting him seven.  He openly admitted that he had made quite a few mistakes, that his life had been peppered with bad choices. He had faced death in the face, but through all the hardships had learned to trust in God.  
            Here was a man wearing a simple gray T-shirt, shorts and worn shoes, kneeling before Rick and I, and eagerly sharing his witness of a loving God. He wore no white shirt or tie, and hadn’t been prepared on street approaches,  but his passion was clearly to share a portion of his insights, facts and truths as he had learned.  Bearing testimony concerning the Holy Ghost, Jesus Christ, and the great I AM was evident, and common experience for him.  We were somewhat a captivated audience and we listened, we learned, and together rejoiced in the truths.   
        I thought at first we were just going to have our windshield replaced, but I gratefully attended a revival, growing a greater, deeper appreciation for what I believe, as well as whom I believe in.  It was refreshing to listen to another seeker of truth and sense his compassion for everyone.  He wanted to be clear, as clear and clean as his windshields. Here was a  man  called Richard, who held great love for God.

        “One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential 
           is invisible to the eyes.” 
                ~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery 

        Once again I reflected upon my own life and journey. to ponder my own divine purpose and clear mission.  It made me think of those times of questioning, as well as times of confirming truths. Interestingly, it causes me to harken to a recent statement made by Elder Jeffery R. Holland: 
  
        “ I would say to all who wish for more faith, remember . . .  
         In moments of fear or doubt or troubling times, hold the ground  
         you have already won, even if that ground is limited. . ."  Elder Jeffery R. Holland. 

        Hold the ground, 
          Hold to the rod, 
                Hold to God ~   

Enjoy your Sabbath

Love to All
Shauna 

No comments:

Post a Comment