Wednesday, September 18, 2013


                    ACT WELL THY PART
by Shauna Brown 

          Who could ever forget an incredible tale--especially told about oneself? Not me!   I was three or four years old when it occurred.   It was a warm summer day and my two older brothers, Robert and Michael were decked out in their cowboy outfits, guns, chaps, and hat. I was chosen as the Indian.  I always was the Indian.   
        “I shot you!”  “Hide”  “You play dead!”  “I shot you!”    From one side of the yard to the other we attacked and retreated. That is until my father came out to mow the lawn. At that point the game retreated to the back yard.  
   However, to my father’s  surprise as he entered the backyard to mow he noticed me laying flat on the grass. There were no cowboys to be seen in any direction.  He then called out my name. “Shauna!” 
        I did not respond or move. He shook me, but I continued to lay motionless.  He was filled with instant concern.  Picking me up in his arms he quickly proceeded into the house. He rushed me to the bedroom.  Laying me upon the big bed he called out for assistance from my mother.  Noting the urgency in his voice Mama quickly rushed into the bedroom, and instantly peppered him with questions: “What happened? Where was she?  Is she hurt? What’s wrong? What was she doing?” 
          Imagine the fear that enveloped both of them. The more they looked at me stretched upon the bed, rendering not a sound or any movement, fear took hold. Daddy offered, “I’ll go and call the doctor.”  Mother inspected my every inch while checking for any sight of injury.  
       “The more I looked at Shauna I began thinking she was turning blue. I would lift her little arm and it would fall limp like a rag doll. I could see no brusing, no bumps--nothing.  I was ready to rush her to the hospital when a flash of inspiration struck. “Where’s Michael and Robert ?”
They were playing with her the last time I saw them.”       Within a few minutes my two young cowboy brothers  were standing beside the bed. Mother’s concerned interrogation began: “What was Shauna doing?” “Did you see her fall?”  “Did she eat something?” “What happened?”  “Did you hit her?” “What happened?” 
        Imagine their young fear as they sought for answers. Reviewing the situation Michael the eldest,  explained, “We were playing cowboys and Shauna was the Indian.” Robert then shared aloud, “I shot Shauna.” 
    Then, something clicked within my mother’s mind, “Aw haw! All right young lady! You can stop playing dead!” As she relates it, I arose with jubilation and giggles. All eyes were filled with instant surprise, as I bounced upon the bed. All were amazed that I could have accomplished such a fete. I had succeeded in my first acting experience. I had proven myself to be most believable.  I had achieved success!   I had faked death.
     “There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit,  no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect.”    Ronald Reagan 
            Don’t you love that thought?  No constraints, no fear, awe to be courage filled and confident. I believe that too many times many of us erect walls and barriers, fearing what others might say or think of us. We even hide some qualities that would ultimately bless the lives of others. We build facades to constrain the truth of how God wants us to be. We know that possibilities lie within, yet, we limit the opportunities to try.    We close our eyes to our imagination and talents by frequently comparing and unfortunately negating our worth.  We play dead too often.
        Imagine the joy to God when we burst out of restraints, breathe deeply with confidence, and accomplish even the smallest of intended parts, as we believe and venture forth convinced : that “with God nothing is impossible.”
Pres. David O. McKay shared a saying that he sought to live by: 
“What E’re Thou Art, Act Well Thy Part” 
    So today... Live more fully, laugh and then laugh some more. Consider your place within the spectrum of spectacular and then act, even if you have to  “fake it” until you make it. 

Enjoy your Sabbath 
Love to all
Shauna 

No comments:

Post a Comment