Wednesday, September 11, 2013

                      Sunsets of Love!

by Shauna V. Brown 

   I recently received a phone call from Peter Breinholt, a talented  and well known musician in the area.  He was looking for a piece of music he had heard about that I had written years ago, called the Red, Red Shawl. He indicated that a man in his stake had inherited the famous shawl, and would be telling the story on an upcoming  pioneer trek.  Peter thought that the music would add an extra flow of emotion and depth to the story. 
        Let me simply share, for those who have never heard of the story:  July 1858. Ann and Robert Parker and their young family were  traveling west with the McArthur Handcart Company. One night as a thunderstorm rolled in, they hastily made camp. It was then that the Parkers discovered their six-year-old boy, Arthur, was missing. Robert and Ann spread the alarm to the rest of the camp. It was then they found that someone had remembered seeing the little boy earlier in the day settling down to rest in a wooded area. He was exhausted from the trip. 
For two days the men in the camp searched for the missing child, and then, with no alternative, the company moved west leaving the family behind to continue the search.  Robert Parker went back alone, but as he left, his wife Ann pinned a red shawl around his shoulders. She said if he found the boy dead to use the shawl to bury him, but if he were alive to use it to signal them as he came back into camp. 
For three nights Ann and her other children waited, watched, prayed, and finally, just as the sun was setting, they caught a glimpse of the shawl waving in the last rays of day.  Prayers had been answered. Upon joining the  rest of the company later, one pioneer journal recorded:  “Robert Parker came into camp with his little boy that had been lost. Great joy throughout the camp. The mother’s joy, I cannot describe.” 
Apparently a woodsman had found the terrified boy and cared for him until his father came. 

 This was a solo, sung by the young Ann Parker in a play depicting that scene. 

RED, RED, SHAWL         by Shauna V. Brown 

Wave this red, red shawl as a signal.  . . .     Wave it high in the sky for me
Wave it ‘ore your head my darling         So I can clearly see.

It will show to me he is living . . . .      That my prayers reached up to God.    
Wave it high and strong my darling       He’s been saved by God.....

But if you find him oh, so quiet.  . . .     Take this red shawl and tenderly
Wrap him up with all my loving                Tell him of eternity.

All my prayers go with you sweetheart  ...     On the venture on this day.
I understand our hearts are breaking           But haste now, don’t delay.
For my prayer is that you’ll find him. . .  Safe and sure along the path.
Please be safe my dear beloved.               God be with you on your way.
    
     Imagine the thoughts, fears, and prayers offered by the young Parker family. Not only for the lost boy, but for the Father who went back amid adversity to find him. 
     I remember with great clarity losing a child. Panic, fear, anxiety, concern, instantly filled my being. Peace and calm couldn’t be had until I held that child once again in my arms.    
      What if during this life’s experience, through storms and darkness I should lose one of them?  Even the very thought makes tears crest upon my cheeks. I love them all so much!  
    Yet, I believe just like Ann Parker, that my Rick, their father, would seek desperately to find, to aid, to bless, and bring back the lost or wandering one.  
Robert Parker, took faith and trust in God and advanced amid the force of piercing winds, Indians and unknown conditions.  His joy was eagerly expressed as he waved the red shawl in the air. Rejoicing aloud to this family, as he carried young Arthur in his arms, “ He lives!”  Imagine the happiness as all embraced the son. 
    Then consider for just a moment as our Father in Heaven looked upon his own Son. Our Savior, Jesus Christ, who wore a royal robe of red, faced the rocky ridges and pathways to the hill they call Calvary.  He advanced, in pain amid the storms of piercing words, pounding nails, and whips. All he endured was to enable and bless each of us to find our way home. 
         I have learned and often share with trek planners that there is symbolism and parallels within the stories of the pioneers. I’m sure if you take a few moments to ponder the parallels you will be amazed at the atoning love. 
 I have thought often of the little mother Ann, who when seeing the sight of the red shawl against the sunset fell to her knees, ever grateful, “He’s alive! - He lives!”
     Since writing the song, Red, Red Shawl,  I have gained a deeper appreciation for sunsets. Sunsets which often stir me to remember, and celebrate that a loving Savior waves a red shawl of atoning love for each of us. 
Together we can proclaim, and unitedly testify that  “ HE LIVES!”  He lives and holds out his arms to every wandering, questioning, and faithful soul.  

Enjoy the Sabbath

Love Shauna 

No comments:

Post a Comment