Sunday, October 6, 2013

                     Both Sides 

by Shauna Brown  
 
              Not long ago as I was welcoming new students to seminary a young girl came bouncing through the front door. “I’m sorry I’m so late,”  she said almost out of breath.  Her eyes were deep brown, and shiny long black hair accentuated her features.  I was taken by her beauty and equally taken back by a very contrasting black shirt that she wore. The shirt featured a huge white skull on the front of her t-shirt. With reflex of thought I said excitedly, “Oh, you’re coming to do work for the dead.”  She giggled in surprise and smiled. I laughed aloud, as I amazed myself for my quick wit.  She then came closer to me. In some what of an embarrassing tone stated, “You see, I used to be Gothic.” I nodded my head a bit surprised, yet in response to understanding the term.  
        “ I didn’t have any clean clothes this morning. This shirt is a left over.” 
        “ I’m glad it’s clean,” I said with a smile.  
        Then she added, “I decided being a Goth wasn’t really what I wanted to be.”   
         It was then I broke with rules and gave her a welcoming hug. “I’m glad you’re here.”               
        For weeks now my little friend comes late to school almost every day. I have encouraged her on numerous occasions to try harder to be punctual. I admit I am a shade fearful she will slip back into patterns, and behaviors that are not the best for her. In fact, I admit I find relief when she comes through the front door. My response is a wide smile. She stops momentarily and shares her reasons for being tardy. They are as varied as most: busy with marching band practices, keeping her grades up, couldn't sleep, staying up late, had to get an assignment done, had to do the laundry. She then holds up her tardy note and rushes into the classroom.   Yet, in all the times Kate has come late, she has never shared with me that she is the one who basically helps her younger brother get ready for school. I found that fact out by accident from a school aid who informed me that Kate’s younger brother, a seventh grader,  is autistic. It seems Kate is the only one who can work with him to get dressed and ready without him getting upset and agitated. Most mornings are beyond busy for her.  As the aid shared her insights, I was taken with a great sense of wonder. I saw more than a fourteen year old who had withdrawn from darkness, a girl who frequently looks more frazzled than fresh.  I see a young girl who is hanging on the hope that someday she will have new friends who have forgotten how she used to be, and hopes that God will understand and forgive.   
     Isn’t it interesting that too often until we have more facts, ‘both sides of the story,’ we can easily assume, question, create opinions, evaluations and make hasty judgments.                               
       
              “We all make mistakes, have struggles, and even regret things in our past. But you are not your mistakes, you are not your struggles, and you are here NOW with the power to shape your day and your future.”    
                                                                Steve Maraboli       I find great comfort in knowing that Jesus Christ stands as our advocate with the Father.  He knows our full story, He knows our hearts, He knows our will. Both sides of the story of our lives are clearly understood and felt.  His love for everyone is unconditional. He loves us inside out and outside in. His desire is that we show up for the daily lessons and take heart and hope in all the possibilities.
Enjoy the Sabbath!
Love to all,
Shauna 

No comments:

Post a Comment