Sunday, October 27, 2013


               
                                                        FENCES


by Shauna Brown 

     I love taking photographs. Something within my soul that stirs me to capture a moment in time. Perhaps even a thought. What a  blessing pictures are, as they will often help us recall that experience.  Helping
 us to reflect upon the time that took us there.  
    Recently our family enjoyed a weekend away. Fall is a beautiful time, and between the crisp morning and golden afternoon, we took a long Fall walk together.  I took pictures of  trees bidding bye to their blankets of yellow leaves. I embraced and captured the sky blue mornings, smiles on faces and random poses to delight. It was while on our slow saundering I came upon a old fence with barbed wire. It appeared to be the  last remaining remnants of a time past. Yet, it set my mind to contemplate how the farmer had worked so diligently to build the fence. Post by post he dug deeply. Then nails he positioned and pounded.  Heavy wooden planks he secured, creating the desired boundary. Carefully unwinding the wired barbs he placed it a top the fence, hopefully to restrain unwanted entrance or disturbance.   
     I wondered how just how long it took took the farmer to build his fence.  A fence so sturdy and strong to stand against the wind, time, as well as weight of animals.  When completed did he and his bride stand back with an extra measure of pride upon completion? Was it then they felt more secure?  What did he want to protect?   What did he want to keep out? How many nails did he use to re-enforce and fortify it?   

   “The wide world is all about you; you can fence yourselves in,  
        but you cannot forever fence it out.”   J.R.R. Tolkien 


    You and I are finding that today we must seek to secure and protect all that is dear to us. We must dig deeply and seek the greatest fortifications and foundations. It is imperative to install limits, sometimes barbed boundaries, while continually praying for protection and guidance. Much like the farmer, our charge is to be aware of broken posts and then hasten to rebuild and secure our fences.  
      How many fences will we build in a lifetime? Some of our fences will never see a nail, or a wooden post, but they are there. We will feel the pressing pressures and influence of the ‘world’, but holding the hammer of hope in hand, we can build them. We must distance ourselves from conflicting voices, dark thoughts, distracting beliefs and abrasive behaviors.  
   Often I am taken in thought to visualize a moment when I am standing with the Savior in my “field of life.”  I see there were times when I pushed against the fence seeking to explore beyond,  and there were other times I sat upon it. I see my fence, getting older. Some boards and posts have been repaired and replaced.  I see as well, some strong posts dug deep when faith was the only means of securing.   I pause as the Savior once again smiles at me while he scans my field and fencing.   “Behold,” he whispers and stretches forth his hand. 
I see a sagging post. He points to my bucket of nails. I nod with understanding. You see, He knows the effort, value, and worth of posts and nails. 

        “You will one day stand aside and look at your difficult times, and you 
         will realize that He was always there beside you.” -Thomas S. Monson 

    
Enjoy Your Sabbath!
With Love Always
Shauna 

No comments:

Post a Comment