Sunday, October 28, 2012

              Trick or Treat


     
by Shauna Brown 

     I can hear my mother give instructions, “Now save one of your Snicker candy bars for me.”   
     For years my older brothers, Michael and Robert, were my Halloween companions as we enjoyed our moments of “Trick or Treating” together.  Being the little sister I found myself running hard just to keep up the pace as we ran from house to house gathering up the treats. We always knew who gave out the best candy and we went there first. We gathered candy  until the house lights went out, or the candy ran out, or our bags were just too heavy to carry.  We arrived home with a bounty proud.  Finding our corner of the room we would then empty the contents from our pillowcases. The piles of candy bars, suckers, apples, tootie rolls, packs of gum, lifesavers and an assortment of others were such a prize.  Oh, such fun to see all that had been bestowed and stuffed into those deep and welcoming bags. For a few minutes there was a routine swapping for the favorites.  “I’ll give you five tootie rolls for one Snickers .”  “Here, I don’t like Mars, you can have mine.”       
   Mother and daddy stood by looking upon the vast collection of sugar enhancements.  They smiled, “Hey, don’t forget -- Snickers Candy Bar, or Butterfinger?” Fully knowing we would gladly toss one their direction. Their anticipated smiles were well worth the sacrifice.  
     Almond Joys,  Mars, Three Musketeers, Neccos, M&M’s,  Bit-o-Honey, Snickers, Nibs, Life Savers, Babe Ruth, Pixie Sticks, Bazooka Bubble Gum to name just a few.There was more than enough to  make the taste buds stand ready. 
     I recall one Halloween as we were standing on a porch yelling out “Trick or Treat” to the top of our lungs  when  Brother Don Harris, my Sunday School teacher, invited our little band of candy grabbers into his home. We circled the living room. 
    “OK, what's your trick? “ He asked.  I didn’t get it--a trick?   I wasn’t the only one who looked surprised with his request. “Trick or Treat?” He smiled. I could clearly see he wasn’t about to hand over any portion of his loaded bowl filled with candy.  
      “Well?” he said looking for a response.  “I want a trick, and then I’ll give a treat.”  I looked at Bro Harris differently,as he smiled. He was pulling the trick on us.  He giggled and grabbed some candy and we were on our way.

     Let me spin my cobweb of thought for this Sunday sharing.
      Sometimes do we feel we are given a life trick or trial?

     My mother once said, 
Challenges and trials are but a compliment from God. 
How we accept those compliments is key to our progression. 

    Sometimes when I have been faced with a challenge, trick or trial, I have thought of it as unkind, such an unexpected, unwarranted surprise, much like Brother Harris’s request.  I never considered those moments to be welcomed as a compliment. When faced with such a compliment, I like many of you have questioned what I was doing wrong? Why now? Why me? How come? Why this challenge? Wasn’t I living a good life? Wasn’t I trying to be that ready and useable instrument for God’s good?  I didn't want it. indeed I felt it was a trick and trial.
    Each of us are caring around an earthly pillowcase of possibilities, and are eager to return home and dump out the contents and see what it holds.
     I also know the home, the place, which give the best treats, eternal ones. Sometimes I forget to go there first. For therein we will find the pieces of peace individually wrapped. The giver has bowls filled and overflowing, bags ready with everlasting gifts of love, forgiveness, charity, comfort, and believe me I have found that ‘home’ most willing to welcome.
     Now looking back upon some of my life’s challenging tricks,  I realize that which I thought was at first unnecessary roughness, a mean trick, was like Mama said, "A compliment", a gift, a morsel of sweetness given for my growth and development. I now consider those individually wrapped compliments -- a blessing. I have learned and continue to realize that this life is going to be filled with tricks and treats, highs and lows, peace and conflicts, light and darkness.  
     From house to house, moment to moment we all will experience having to carry around some heavy bags.    There will be those times when we wish we could swap out one experience for another one. ‘Here, you can have this one back.’ ‘My bag is all ready full.’  "I'll give you three of mine for one of yours,"  ‘I don’t like. . . 
     Then at some point in time we each will empty out our hearts and see all that was given. All the compliments and the way in which we received them. It will all be set before us. Our life will be defined by such a moment and we will see clearly and know: 

      Chocolate is but a momentary pleasure.

Enjoy your Sabbath and Your Eternal Treats.

Shauna

No comments:

Post a Comment