Sunday, November 4, 2012


                 Basket Full of Blessings

by Shauna Brown 


As a child I loved growing up in a family that was centered upon gospel teachings. At a very early age I was taught gratitude for a loving Father in Heaven and his son, Jesus Christ.  Through the examples I had placed before me, my family, I thrived in the best of growing conditions. I was nurtured as well as spoiled being the youngest of six children, as I clearly had worthy examples to follow.  I believe with full heart that Family is a gift and blessing of God. 

     A good friend of mine shared recently a tradition that her family has enjoyed for years. They take each day during the month of November to share and count their blessings.  'A Month of Thanksgiving.' I love the idea. So this day might I too begin sharing.  I’m sure I have more than a month full, but it will be a great start for my gratitude journal.  Please note these are not in any significant or value order. 

     November 1  
     I am thankful for my eyes. Eyes that are an incredible creation of God. Eyes that clearly are 
windows of the soul. Eyes that allow me to see. I grew up learning that my Grandpa Van Wagenen was blind. I tried to imagine living in his darkness.  Later in my life I learned to appreciate my sight even more as I watched my mother try to read and write with the aid of a large magnifying glass. Treasured words they were, as she struggled to read and write line upon line.  
                     “Everything has its wonders, even darkness and silence, 
              and I learn, whatever state I may be in, therein to be content”   
~ Helen Keller 

      November 2
     I am thankful for hands. Hands that can hold a newborn child, or squeeze a tube of toothpaste. Hands that stir the batter, and tenderly  hair. Hands that lead the melodies. Hands that wipe away the tears and hold a tender soul. Hands that reach out to another. Hands that speak when tongue cannot.
Hands as tools of creation. 
                     “Winter is the time for comfort, for good food and warmth, 
for the touch of a friendly hand and for a talk beside the fire:
                          it is the time for home.”  ~ Edith Sitwell

      November 3
     I am thankful for light. Even the smallest of a candle flicker brings warmth to my spirit. One little star in the farthest part of heaven- gives me comfort in knowing God is well aware of me. Light that awakens the world each day, and kisses me goodnight. Light to know that God is and will be forever. I know that each of us is a light unto another. 
                                 “All the darkness in the world cannot 
                                 extinguish the light of a single candle.” 
~ St. Francis of Assisi

      November 4
     I am thankful for Sundays. From my earliest memories Sundays were my favorite day of the week. Perhaps it was because of our Sunday dinners as a family. I can almost smell Mama’s roast beef, or Leg of lamb. In fact, I could smell dinner  cooking at least a block away from church.  Anticipation in watching the potatoes whipped to perfection, then topped with melting butter. Yuummm.   Of course there were special Sunday clothes and shoes just meant for Sunday wearing. Sundays were meant to be different.  I smile as Sundays are still my favorite day of the week.  A day in which I rejoice in knowing that God wanted this day set apart with sacred remembering. A day meant to worship, to renew covenants, to partake of sacred emblems and to offer prayers of gratitude.    
        “Anybody can observe the Sabbath, but making it holy 
             surely takes the rest of the week. ” 
~ Alice Walker

      I see clearly that my basket will be more than overflowing with gratitude and thanksgiving, and I’ve only focused on a few days. Imagine if we all took a moment to count our blessings one by one. I realized that our blessings will be varied and yet from our focus we will ultimately rejoice in realizing just how much God is mindful of each of us. 
“I would maintain that thanks are the highest form of thought; 
         and that gratitude is happiness doubled by wonder.” 

          ~ G.K. Chesterton!

Enjoy this Sabbath ... and take a few moments and start filling up your gratitude basket. 
It just might surprise you what the Lord has done.

Just so you don't forget - I count YOU among my blessings.  

Love Shauna

No comments:

Post a Comment