Monday, October 15, 2012


Heaven Sent Blessings

by Shauna V. Brown 

       Quickly we gathered in a hospital room eager to see the newest miracle sent from heaven. No halo seen but truly an angel had arrived. 
“She’s got the Drakulich nose, and Camille’s lips” announced a proud Grandma Drakulich standing by.  I smiled as I gazed upon the little face so pure and perfect.  Not a blemish visible. She looked like a little painted China doll.  
I was taken in thought with the sense that there must have been an ever greater farewell party in heaven as well.  I could almost hear my angel mother say,  “Bless you little one, there you go.”  Just the thought drew my heart closer - to heaven’s veil.  Perchance renewing love had been placed within her fingertips and tiny toes. No wonder giggles come when fingers and toes are counted.  “This little piggy has gone to market so many times before. “   “Wee,wee, wee.... all the way home.”
     “Look at all that black hair, “exclaimed nine year old cousin, Kate. Watching the beanie fall from her little head.  That was when Papa Rick revealed and bestowed the assortment of large pink combs.  “From her picture, we thought you would be needing them,”  smiled Papa as laughter erupted.
      Brighton Camille Brown, arrived on Friday, October 12, 2012, and within three minutes of her birth Briant, her proud father, had sent a picture of her to family and friends. 
      As I held that little bundle from heaven I reflected upon those tiny blessings, my sweet children, who were received and welcomed as well. Six blessed bundles. 
     I recalled that by some incredible eraser the months of morning sickness, sleepless nights, swollen feet, stretching skin, heart burn, pain, was replaced with instant relief and joy as the tiny one rested within my arms.   I marveled at their every move, their sounds, as well as their eyes looking into mine. Pure little faces, untouched and trusting.  
      I watched as the nurse snuggly wrapped the receiving blanket around Brighton’s little body. No chance for even a wiggle.  “It’s a “baby burrito,”  the nurse said smiling. 
    I thought of how many times I had wrapped and unwrapped a similar blanket, knowing that it would give my babies comfort and a sense of security. 
     Funny, but even at my age I have some of those same needs and wants. I love to be wrapped, tucked, and surrounded by luscious blankets, the fluffier the better! I guess its not difficult to understand that at times we all need something that allows us to enjoy a moment wherein to find peace, security, warmth, and renewed possibilities, as well as hope.
    There have been moments in my life however, when fear was pushing back the blanket of faith. I freely flung the wrapping of trust away, thinking I could possibly handle and face some of life’s challenges alone. Thankfully, I am learning to trust and have greater faith in my Lord.  I have felt of His unconditional love, ever tucked around me, more tightly than any fluffy blanket. 
         “Peace I leave with you.” 
  Infinitly given from within His palms.
     Truly I can testify that each one of us can feel “encircled in the arms of his love.” Much like a trusting child, our part is to reach out to Him.
      If tiny little Brighton could speak, and share of her heavenly experience, clearly we all would listen intently.  We would write down her words and treasure them.  We would embrace the truths she could share. 
         “Just moments from heaven.” I whispered in her ear. Clearly the realization pressed upon my heart.  Perhaps we no longer feel ‘moments away from heaven’ but we can know here and now the infinite interest that the Lord has in each one of us.  
    Take hold today of your tiny toe and wiggle one more time, praying that “wee, wee, wee --all, will find our way home.”    To eagerly awaiting family and friends, but most of all a Father who counts us each as a blessing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment