Sunday, January 26, 2014



                               Defining Vision

by Shauna V. Brown

      Recently two of my sons-in -laws had eye surgery to improve and correct their vision. Both have had to wear contacts or glasses in order to see. As one can well imagine they anticipated the coming clarity and vision improvement.  
        Steve was evaluated and was approved for Lasik. Jon had astigmatism in his eyes that required the photorefractive keratectomy, PRK procedure.   Both knew the procedures, possible side effects and the successful outlook for both. Reviews and raves came from all sources concerning both procedures. 
        Steve, upon completion of his Lasic surgery was over the top excited as he responded quickly and with positive delight--- “I can see. It only took seven minutes and I was done.”   
        Jon followed a few weeks later with his PRK surgery and found it to be different story from Steve’s. The surgery took a little bit longer than seven minutes.  There has not been such a quick fix or focus. PRK reshapes and sculpts the cornea using an excimer laser, then they insert a lense to allow for healing.  It will take weeks to heal. Jon was sensitive to light and wearing dark glasses gave him moments of relief.  He excitedly observed that he had seconds of clarity, then sudden loss of vision which turned into blurred shapes, shadowed shapes and then clarity again. Each day the pain has lessened and his sight is continually improving. 
        I know I am hypersensitive to any eye operation or procedure. This caution and concern was generated when my mother needed to have a cataract removed years ago. The implant slipped soon after the operation and her eye hemorrhaged. She lost all central vision, leaving her with extremely limited peripheral sight. I watched for years as she struggled to see. Aided with a large magnifying glass she could only see the large letters of the newspaper and read a sentence bit by bit. She missed her world of sight. 
Mother wanted for a miracle, and I knew she had faith enough. Words within her journal read:  ‘it was a very confining life.’   
         Back up, did I just say ‘her vision became so limited?’  Perhaps her outward vision - what she could see of her world, was distorted and lessened. Yet, all the while, Mother sensed the need of magnifying her faith and trust in God. Perhaps today, Mother would rewrite that sentence to read: ‘it was a very defining life.’  
      Mother had vision, not the 20/20 wished for, but she had clear vision for things of eternal value.   
      Charles R. Swindoll, an evangelical Christian pastor, defined vision: 
“Vision is the ability to see God’s presence, to perceive God’s power,  
to focus on God’s plan in spite of the obstacles.” 
        Yes, that was my mother. She understood and focused her attention to God’s plan and His will. Her loss of sight was an accident and she blamed no one. Her loss of sight was in deed an obstacle. 
I remember mother counseling me on serveral occasions when I faced ‘obstacles’, “Shauna, you must have unwavering faith.” 
      Unwavering faith, Mother practiced it, and lived it. I am grateful that Mother frequently shared and testified, as to how God did provide the blessings, power, and miracles in her life, in spite of the numerous challenges and obstacles.          
        All of us have,or will have set backs, stumbling blocks, and some of our obstacles will cause us to rub our eyes to see through the tears, “Is this for real?” Yes, we all will have blurred and even dark and desperate challenges to overcome, therein, we must look to find the Master. 

      Mother waited four years to have her other eye operated on, as she feared for her total loss of sight. She prayed mightly that God would bless her. I just have to share a portion from her journal:  “ I went for a post operative exam at 7:00 a.m.  I removed the shield. What a thrill! I could see as clear and perfect as in my yourh. The moon was still in the sky. How beautiful! How magestic! It was the first time in years that it looked natural. Before the operation it looked like eight or ten moon lapped on top of each other. Joy filled my heart, I was back in the world of the living. . . Later I went for a walk . I could read house addresses, even across the street. I could read license plates on cars. I could read street signs and traffic markers. I could see flowers and identify them, they were no longer just a blob of color. What a beautiful, wonderful world!”        
To see, what a gift!
Lately, I am relieved as I hear Jonny say, “It’s getting better, I see a little better each day.”  
May you and I seek to see God’s purpose in our lives--a little better, a little clearer each and every day.

  Enjoy the Sabbath
Love always,  Shauna

No comments:

Post a Comment