Sunday, January 12, 2014


                                 Fitted Family Sheets

by Shauna V. Brown 


       My parents enjoyed a wonderful life together. They were married for over fifty two years. After my father passed my mother wrote letters to him. She was a widow for twenty years after. It was her way of dealing with her loss and loneliness.  I am grateful that she saved them, for they have allowed me to peek even further into their relationship.  Oh, such love they held. I am also thankful for her letters as she shared events that transpired, feelings felt, desires and wishes that she wanted her sweetheart to know of.   
         In one of her letters she shares a story that was given during a stake conference. I was filled with laughter when I read it and felt it would be so appreciated, especially by those who have an interest in Genealogy.  I quote from her letter: 
     “I’ll have to tell you something funny.  James Mortimor is our Regional Representative.  You know him, he was manager of Deseret Book.  
      While talking to us at conference he told us how unique we are as a people, because of the Gospel.  He said this is a true incident:  “A non-member couple lived in New York. The husband was transferred to Salt Lake by his company. His wife worked for J.C. Penny in New York, so she sought to transfer too. She was given a job in Penney’s at the Cottonwood Mall. The only position open at Penny’s at the time was in the book department. 
     One day a lady came in the department and said she wanted some “family group sheets.”  The non-member clerk said, “Oh, you are in the wrong department. You will have to go upstairs to Domestics.” Then looking very perplexed she added, “I know they have King Size sheets, and Queen size, but I’ve never heard of these “Family Group Sheet” before.” 
                 
        I laughed. I’m sure there are many unique and unusual terms we “Mormons” use that confuse those not of our faith.  
        While I thought momentarily about the “family group sheet,” it instantly sent my thoughts back to those moments when my own sweet children would crawl or jump onto the bed beside me and Rick. A bed brimming with children, our family group sheet, filled with love and laughter.   I will always treasure those moments. It was so simple then, to tuck them into bed, tell stories, bestow kisses, say prayers, turn out the light and the world felt good.   
        Family.  I often ponder how and what my “family ” are doing on the other side of heaven.  Recently I place my ‘family group sheet’ on the table. I’m trying to link my family lines. There are a few names I recognize, but not many. I wonder about my Grandpa Alfred C. Johnson, does he still sing and drum upon the door?  What was it like when my Grandpa George Van Wagenen got his eye sight, as he wentblind in his later years. Does my Uncle Glen play musical instruments in heaven? Does my mother-in-law still collect tea cups? Do my parents still take long walks together? Does Great Grandma Josephine Brown know that she has inspired me?   
        What would they tell me? What messages would they want me to hear? What would they encourage me to do while here on earth? 
        If I could write a letter and know that it would be delivered to the other side of heaven, I would want them, my “family group sheet” to know how thankful I am for their example, patterns, principals, beliefs, courage, faith that they have placed within my heart.  I am ever grateful for the stories that have been preserved. Thankful that they made the time to write their histories, so that I might learn from their experiences.  Shared their testimonies, so that I could feel of their strength.  
        We are all part of in incredible ‘family group sheet,’ stretched from corner to corner and tucked in.  Family is central to the plan of God. 
        As a little girl, when saying my prayers I would try and imagine that I was kneeling down beside God’s bed. I hoped that he was listening to my prayer.  I am grateful that I learned early that he listens. I know he has answered my prayers as well. Sometimes it has taken years for the answer to come, but they were answered.  
        I have had moments in my life when I needed a fluffy comforter tucked around my shoulders, and tender warmth bestowed. I wanted to feel of His love, longed for soothing caresses and have felt of heaven’s peace.          
  God gives each of us a promise:   “Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you.”  (D&C 88:63.)    

        Family is central to God’s plan and purpose. “Family Group Sheets,” says it all. Without family  … ? 

        Enjoy your Sabbath while pondering that question?  
Love always, Shauna 

No comments:

Post a Comment