Sunday, December 29, 2013


        

                                            COLOR MY WORLD

by Shauna Brown 



When I was a little girl I was thrilled each Christmas to get a very predictable gift from Santa.    Among  his Christmas gifts always included a box of Crayola Crayons and a few coloring books. Clearly he knew that I loved to ‘color.’  
        I was truly surprised one year when I unwrapped the large - jumbo box which held 64 different colors, plus an added feature -  a sharpner.  64 colors imagine my joy! I had favorite colors, but new ones excited me. Today Crayola creates over 120 different colors of crayons.  On top of that I can still smell the amazing waxy scent.  Interesting fact I learned: according to a Yale University study, the scent of Crayola crayons is among the 20 most recognizable to American adults.   
         I miss those moments when I  spent hours upon hours coloring “within the lines.” How my parents marveled and applauded my careful handy work. As I grew older I even knew to add a deeper color to give dimension. Artists call it shading.  I was becoming an artist, at least I felt like one.  
            In 2008, Crayola came up with ‘Kids’ Choice colors for their 50th anniversary 64 box. I thought it was interesting what titles some of the children came up with.  Let me share a few: Awesome - Giving Tree- 
Famous - Fun in the Sun- Best Friends -Super Happy - Happy Ever 
After - Bear Hug . 
         What names would I give my crayons today?  Imagine it, 120 
colors!   
        My life has been filled with vibrant shades of color.  Of course I would have to name one - Giggles Green - Polka dot Pink - Remembering  - Sunshine Yellow - Sacred Satin  -  Pondering - Joy - Inspire - Hope -  Happy - Sympathy - Forgiveness - Sunset 1 - Sunset 2 -Sunrise Sparkle - Morning Mist - Tickle Bug - Lady Bug Red. . .  
        It’s kind of fun - thinking what you would name the colors surrounding you (in your world) .   Anyway, I am grateful for color, that I can see it, enjoy it, and love the gift of it.  
        Color is meant to evoke responses within the soul. I love the vibrant color of  “Cornflower Blue,” it makes me want to clean. “Yummie Yellow” that makes me smile. “Lavender” makes me think of Mama.  “Pink,” makes me think of large erasers that cost a nickel, back then.  “Granny Apple Green,” makes me think of tummy aches. Think about all the colors that trigger a memory.
        I am motivated by some subtle tones, intensity of hues, and inspired by rich displays of colors placed before me.  I am grateful that the eight colors in the crayon box have been replaced by 120. However, I fully recognize that God has created far more brilliant creations and colors than that. Knowing this fact forces me to want to see beyond, to appreciate even more the shades, drama, values and tones created for our lives. 

            “Gratitude is the real treasure God wants us to find,  
because it isn’t the pot of gold but the rainbow that colors our world.”  
                                ~ Richelle E. Goodrich 
        This year I want to color more. I want to use the whole box of crayons!   I just might want a splash of “Silly Pink,” when others color with their “Perfectly Pink.”  I can’t say I will color ‘in the lines,’ because I like change and need change. I want to see more sunrises and capture a “Dandelion Yellow” moment. Dancing in puddles might mean I use the “Razzle Dazzel Rose” or “Denim Blue” depending on the dirt.  I want to blow up more balloons in jewel tones and have love launches with my family. At the end of day I want to blow kisses and color “Vibrant Orange” across my page, exclaiming what a wonderful adventure this life is.   
        I’m sure our Father in Heaven appreciates our expressions of love and gratitude for life. I’m sure he gets out his “Tickle M Pink” crayon or “Magenta,” when we do. 
  So this Sabbath day, let’s get coloring!  
        Tones of Gratitude - Hues of Happiness 
         Call it what you will... but just color! 
  Love always, 
           Shauna  

No comments:

Post a Comment