Sunday, December 22, 2013


                                     Let Him In


by Shauna Brown 

          I cherish my memories of my childhood. I frequently take myself back to my favorite day of the week, Sunday.  I don’t know if it was because I got to wear my Sunday dress, best Sunday shoes and jewelry, but it was the day I always looked forward to.  Something about sitting on the church benches, singing songs and feeling reverence in our chapel. I loved learning about my Savior. 
          It was in that chapel that music became a key role in my life’s story. From “Jesus Wants Me For a Sunbeam” to solos with performing groups and stage plays. Music to me is the vibrational force behind the spirit. So it is of little wonder when certain hymns were sang I wanted to sing out, louder and with full voice.  Songs about my Savior have always been among my favorites. Sometimes I get stirred within to the point that the tears flow freely and the voice can’t render a musical note. I believe that when music stirs you to that point, it is inspired by God.   
        In preparation for giving a talk in church today I did a little bit of research of the author of a familiar hymn, I Know That My Redeemer Lives.    
         His name is Samuel Medley. As a young man he wasn’t happy with the trade he was learning, so he joined the Bri­tish Roy­al Na­vy, be­com­ing a mid­shi­pman in 1755. During one of the battles he was critically wounded. The doctor told him that if the leg didn’t get any better during the night he would have to have it amputated.  Samuel, at that point in his life was living a carefree lifestyle without any thought of God.  As a child his Grandfather had taught him the importance for a belief in God. So considering his options Samuel began to pray.  He prayed all night, and then more. He experienced a miracle, he let Christ into his life, and his leg remained. That long night of prayer and pondering changed his heart. Peace and joy entered into his soul. Eventually Samuel became a Baptist Pastor and wrote numerous hymns.   
     Let me share just a few cherished measures. . .  

He lives to silence all my fears.                He lives to wipe away my tears.  
He lives to calm my troubled heart.        He lives all blessings to impart.  
He lives, all glory to His Name!                        He lives, my Jesus, still the same.  
Oh, the sweet joy this sentence gives,                 I know that my Redeemer lives!    
        
Yes, the two last lines always induce me to a desire to testify. Tears are frequently found, as I feel the surge of the reality that Jesus Christ is very much aware of each of us. Oh, sweet the joy this sentence gives:
“I know that my Redeemer lives!” 

 

  Might we all ponder the thought shared by Elder Neal A. Maxwell:  

        “Each of us is an innkeeper 
     who decides if there is room for Jesus!” 

Grateful that Samuel let Christ in, and blessed us with 
beautiful hymns to tune the heart.   
  


   Enjoy your Sabbath, and Enjoy the Season
With Love to All,
Merry Christmas!
Shauna   

No comments:

Post a Comment