Sunday, March 31, 2013


Keepers of the Light 

by Shauna V. Brown

   Years ago I lay very sick in a hospital bed in Okinawa. My performing group had left me and were headed to the Philippines. I felt alone in a far away country. Doctor's concerns had led me to feel hopeless.  I thought of my family, and future dreams.  Currants of tears were shed. Then in a dark moment  a hymn came to mind.  

Lead, kindly Light, amid th’en circling gloom, lead Thou me on! 
The night is dark, and I am far from home; lead Thou me on! 
Keep Thou my feet; I do not ask to see 
The distant scene; one step enough for me.  

     From that moment the dark thoughts changed to a bright hope and dwelt within my heart. 
         Lead Thou me on.   
         Like a lighthouse the melody brought a stream of light into my mind. I knew I wasn’t alone. I knew I would get well. I knew I would sing again. Most of all I knew just how close the spirit of Christ can be.  
     Why am I talking about lighthouses.  Especially on Easter?  
     Jesus Christ - is the keeper of the everlasting lighthouse--hopefully seen by all. He is the way. He stepped forth and courageously said “Send me.” As keeper He has climbed the steep stairs. With patience he felt the winds of the whip against his flesh. One by one he felt and knew of the personal journey of each of us. That is when we were engraven upon his bloody palms.   
    He stands ready night and day, our lighthouse, to still the waters and calm the seas of fear. He eagerly awaits to rescue anyone. Anyone who calls out His name. Anyone who seeks for the light. Jesus provides a constant light that burns for all of us to see, to find, and to follow.   He said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”  
        Each of us - at birth -automatically became “keepers of the light. “ 
 “the true light that lighteth every man that cometh into the world--” The light of Christ.  That newborn light was small then. 
      Imagine if we give ourselves a daily routine that ensures that we trim our wicks with wisdom, shine our souls in service, generate our thoughts to “talk of Christ, rejoice in Christ, we preach of Christ, we prophesy of Christ. 
    As “Keepers of the Light” we need to continually fill our lamps with oil. Prepare so we will be day and night ready, becoming -wise keepers.  Polishing the windows with prayer to see more clearly, seeking the word.... In Psalms... it reads... ” Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. "
      As we draw unto Christ , and follow him --our abilities to push away the darkness -will increase. Our abilities to discern will be enhanced.   
        Pres. Boyd K Packer said: “If you have made mistakes, and all of us have, whether minor or serious, then you have an enormous need to find out how they can be erased so that you are no longer in darkness. 
        “Jesus Christ is the light and life of the world,” he continued. “As we fix our gaze firmly on him and his teachings, we will be guided to the harbor of spiritual safety.” 
    Christ has walked the walk, talked the talk, and holds the light for all.  

        Long before Jesus came to earth Plato, the famous Greek philosopher said: 
   “We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.” 

        The Lord is my light - then why should I fear 
        By day and by night - his presence is near.  

This is a small portion of a talk I gave this Easter morning. Might we all rejoice in the light of truth. Jesus is the Christ, our Redeemer, our lighthouse.

Enjoy the gift.
Love to all
Shauna 

No comments:

Post a Comment