Sunday, March 10, 2013


IMAGINE IT!

by Shauna V. Brown

     For the past few days I have been walking with the gate of a ninety year old.     I pulled out my back. Don’t ask me how I did it, I don’t know. I just woke up and instant shooting pains sent flashes to my brain. Hot pad, pain killers, electrodes, and blessing were eagerly engaged. I tried walking it out, but  I even found if I crawled it was better. 
      All day, all night I tried to find relief. Picture me on all fours trying to figure how to get myself into bed. I hurt and tried at least five times to pull myself into position to make it to the top. Rick tried to help me, but the pain was too intense. At one point I thought, ‘this is enough.’ I thought, just let me lay here, toss me a pillow. I was done. It took tears, and continued effort, but I finally did it.
     With a full dose of Melaotin, Advil, heating pad, I sought for peace, sleep and no pain. I know I didn’t move an inch the whole night, as even the slightest of a twist sent another flood of pain my way. Sleep was granted. 
     This sabbath morning as sunshine welcomed the day I laid motionless in my bed. Rick was up dressing for an early morning church meeting. I was trying hard not to set off the pain again, yet, Mother Nature called. Within an instant of movement I felt the unwelcome guest again. I realized my prayer of relief had not been granted. Ever so carefully I made my way to my feet.  I walked slowly, sleeking to glide. It seemed impossible as with each step a bolt of pain sprang into action. 
     I finally made my back to my bed and lay exhausted. It was then I was taken into thoughts about my Savior, Jesus Christ. He crawled, He cried, and endured to the finish. 

Imagine it!

   Now, I have felt the pain of bearing six children, root canals, poor choices, surgery, death and such, but now facing a battery of intense pains shooting up my spine, my thoughts went to a greater appreciation for the unending agony Jesus Christ experienced. Thoughts flooded my mind: If Jesus felt these extreme pains for me, multiplied by humanity - how could He have done it?  Just one area of my body was inflicted with soring, shooting pains... how could He bear his whole body and mind being assulted? Jesus Christ has felt this tsunami of pain and more.  Thus, He understands all pain.
In Isaiah 49:16 it reads: “ Behold, I have engraved you on the palms of my hands.” 
Deeply engraven I feel, carved carefully, as to understand our purpose more profoundly.  One by one He walks with us through our pains, discomforts, afflictions and suffering.  He knows pain extremely well. Upon His palms in prayers and pleadings He sacrificed to understand each of us. 
Max Lucado shared: “He loves each one of us like there is only one of us to love.”

Imagine it!
I gasped as I felt the first surge of pain. I wanted it to “stop!” I sought for instant relief.  “I’m ready to be done with this.” Yet, today, I see more clearly that the will of the Father and His son, was to secure peace for each one of us. I do stand all amazed at the love Jesus offers me. He was willing to push ahead through the pain-- for me.  My soul is filled with loving wonder and appreciation. 
        When Jesus had finished His work- our work, we all cried out in joyous relief. 

Imagine it! 
So this Sabbath - take a moment to think about Jesus’s loving investment in each one of us.  Do our efforts and desires reflect our appreciation of His eternal commitment?

No comments:

Post a Comment