Saturday, January 24, 2015

                        Dinner is Served

by Shauna Brown

     A couple of days ago my son asked an interesting question, “If you could have dinner with anyone famous, who has passed on, other than Jesus Christ, who would you invite? 
    My mind was instantly set to thinking. Who would I want to invite? What questions would I ask?  Would I be able to carry on a conversation with them?  At first I thought of women: Helen Keller, Anne Frank, Emma Smith, Abigail Adams, Louisa May Alcott, Florence Nightingale, Joan of Arc, Cleopatra, Miriam - sister to Moses, Corrie Ten Boone, were among the top of my list. Then I considered the men: Joseph Smith, Walt Disney, George Washington, Beethoven, Ronald Reagan, CS Lewis, Wilford Woodruff, Parley P. Pratt and that list continued to grow. 
       “That is so difficult,”  I said in response.  “As there are so many I would love to visit with.  But, I must admit I felt a little uncomfortable with even the thought. Oh, I had read a few books on several of them, and studied a handful of their lives, but to have them sit at my table?  What would we talk about?
         One Christmas our family got a book case as a gift from Santa. I was surprised at the number of books that found a home upon the shelves. Among them was an old worn book by Dale Carnegie, How to Win Friends and Influence People.
        As I opened the book I immediately saw pages dog-eared, sentences underlined, and jotted notations in the margins. I assumed my parents must have read it several times. Clearly, impressions had been generated in both of my parents as I remember being taught that Dale Carnegie had said ‘that everyone has a special gift or talent that makes them outstanding.’ He said ‘if you want to make friends and influence people, look for their special gift and then tell them about it.’ Give them a compliment. 
         Compliments. One word - yet it seems we compli-cate it. Why is it that so many people receive so few of them?  Are we so busy, so preoccupied that telling someone a simple thoughtful compliment isn’t necessary.  Will it go unappreciated? Does it make one feel lesser?  
             So, I pondered how it might be sitting at the table with Corrie ten Boone, and imagined how I would express my appreciation for her sweet words and influence left upon my heart. How touched I was by her testimony of our Savior, Jesus Christ, and her messages of forgiveness.  Within a matter of moments I thought of a pocketful of compliments I could express. Just thinking about it makes me smile.  I hope she knows, as I just blew off a few kisses to heaven.
    Thank You, Dale Carnegie, for seeking to guide our thoughts and see the value in a genuine compliment, and expressing words of appreciation.
        Oh, I would welcome a visit, a simple dinner, with everyone listed, as I believe I would leave the table filled with greater appreciation for their experiences, insight and  wisdom. Even though, most of my chosen few didn’t breathe within the same period of time, our hearts have touched through words and their acts.  Because of them I have been allowed to open my eyes, and enlarge my heart by their living.  

        Listen, this is perfect: 
        “This is what the past is for! Every experience God gives us, every person 
        He puts in our lives is the perfect preparation for the future that only
        He can see.”    Corrie ten Boom, The Hiding Place

        Have a good Sabbath

        Love Always,
        Shauna

My table is set and ready for a visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment