Saturday, January 24, 2015







by Shauna Brown 

Placed upon the window seal in my office rests a wooden plaque with one simple word, Believe. 
I shall for ever remember the day my mother returned home from the music store. I was pretty little then, maybe five or six years old.  Mother was eager to play some new songs that she had recently heard on the radio.  I’m sure I was excited, as I loved to sit beside her and sing. She pulled out the bench and invited me to come and sing it with her. I watched her as she opened up the sheet music and placed it on the piano.   I know I wasn’t old enough to read, so I listened as she sang the words aloud. 

I believe  for every drop of rain that falls,
a flower grows.
I believe that somewhere in the darkest night,
a candle glows.
I believe for everyone who goes astray,
someone will come to show the way,
I believe, I believe.
I believe, above the storm, the smallest prayer will still be heard.
I believe that someone in the great somewhere hears every word.
Everytime I hear a new born baby cry, or touch a leaf, or see the sky,
then I know why I believe!

     I fell in love with the song, I Believe. I would have her play it again and again, until I recall her having to say, “That’s enough Shauna for one day.” 
Evidently, “I Believe,” spoke to my soul, as I know from that day on I didn’t look at rain in the same way.  I tried to pray more often even though I couldn’t hear God answer me, yet, I felt he listened, even the ‘smallest prayer would be heard’. 
I love the simple phrases that make me look around and realize that what I believe in --is essential.  I believe in Jesus Christ, and that He came to this earth to bless lives and make eternal life possible for all.   I believe our Father in Heaven is very interested in each and every person. To some, that might sound impossible, but I have learned for myself that I have been placed here and now for purposes beyond my understanding.  
I don’t need to wander in the darkest night, as I know who is the Light. 
        Imagine the impact it had upon me when Mother pulled from the brown paper sack another new piece of music, entitled: HE. 
HE
He can turn the tides and calm the angry sea;
He alone decides who writes a symphony;
He lights every star that makes the darkness bright;
He keeps watch all through each long and lonely night;

He still finds the time to hear a child’s first prayer;
Saint or sinner calls and always finds him there.
Though it makes him sad to see the way we live,
He’ll always say, “I forgive.”

He can grant a wish or make a dream come true;
He can paint the clouds and turn to gray the blue;
He alone is there to find a rainbow’s end;
He alone can see what lies beyond the bend;

He can touch a tree and turn the leaves to gold;
He knows every lie that you and I have told.
Though it makes him sad to see the way we live,
He’ll always say, “I forgive.”

       Melodies and memories of music filling my childhood home are sacred to me. Music touches the heart strings of my spirit. If I could step back in time I would scoot a little closer to Mama on the bench, and sing and sing until my voice could no longer render a note. I even would sit still happily  and listen to my brothers play Bless This House, on their trumpets for the umpteenth time, because I truly know how blessed our house was. 
I would want more beautiful music to fill the world and vibrate within the souls of those seeking for the light. 
     I Believe ---  It is God, who does turn tides and calm the angry sea, touches the blind, heals the sick, mends a broken heart, can carry one when it looks impossible to walk on.   BELIEVE - it’s a beautiful word with an eternal purpose and invitation. 
  Oh, the great lessons I  learned while sitting upon a piano bench with Mama. 

Love always,
Shauna   

No comments:

Post a Comment