Monday, July 29, 2013

                         Follow the Signs


by Shauna Brown  
 
    Some forty years ago I was introduced to the experience of  “Garage/ Yard Sales” by my mother-in-law. Some might call it junking, scumming, or seeking for treasures. 
      It was during those early Saturday morning expeditions I came to find treasures, trinkets, and needed objects for my new home.  The saying it true:  “one man’s trash - is another man’s treasure.”  For me it began my exploration of treasure hunting. 
      I have frequently been  filled with delight as friends inquire, “Where did you get that?" or “I want one.”  “I love it.” Equally to my joy is watching their faces as I explain that I found it at a garage sale.  
     You’ve seen the signs posted along side the road --Garage Sale, Yard, Estate, Neighborhood Sale.  Let me just say, I appreciate those who clearly mark, use lots of brightly colored posters, arrows, balloons, indicating the direction that I should travel. I am attracted to those that look the most promising. Words like huge, epic, gigantic, multi family, neighborhood, estate, always draw me to follow and cross my fingers. I am hopeful to be lead to an ample abundance of possibilities.  
      It’s amazing, as I often encounter a memory walk through days past. I find toys that look just like the ones used by my children. I smile, as I loved the days of young motherhood. Dishes, dolls, books and bicycles that held some of my own childhood memories. One can find everything from A to Z.  Pieces of history and lives set atop tables or stuffed into boxes. 
    With delight I have carried my arms filled with treasured finds with an equally  large grin and some what giggled pride.   I guess one might conclude I was at 'the right place at the right time.' 
       On the other hand, I have followed signs that indicated that it was a Huge Sale only to find a meager few items scattered over the yard. I call those yard sales more than disappointing.  I give them little attention and drive on.
     I love the yard sales where boxes and tables are filled and brimming over, as I have discovered that often the seller is more than willing to accept my offer,  “Will you take less?”  
      So today, this Sunday, let us ponder the words written for each of us. Words that lead us almost like arrows to the ultimate ESTATE destination: to live with God again.
   
There won’t be balloons or florescent posters to mark the way, and we won’t have any money in our pockets.  We will come empty handed.    Perhaps some of us will hope and pray that we can extend,  “Will you take less?”  Yet I think not, for clearly God has spelled it out, written in big, bold letters: 
         I say unto you, I give unto you a new commandment, that you may understand my will concerning you;
        Or, in other words, I give unto you directions how you may act before me, that it may turn to you for your salvation.
        I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise. 
  Doctrine and Covenants 82:8: 
       
      Each of us are bound by a promise from a loving Father in Heaven. I love God's generous treasures, gifts and constant directions. His greatest desire is that we return to Him. 
     In the Bible God shares : "For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.  How disappointed we will be if we seek for something of less value,or if we have forgotten and packed away His purpose within our lives. How sad we will be when seeing all that He would wish for us has been lessened by our choices.  Clearly we will be humbled as we realize that at that moment we cannot extend: "Will you take less?" Especially when He has given all. 

       Joseph Brackett was an Elder in the Shaker community. It was Brackett's belief that all of us are gifted with free choices. Ultimately our choices we lead us to discover and find our way home.  He wrote and composed a song in 1848, 
originally entitled,“Tis the Gift”  He shared about the simple, defined, directions of life: 

          ‘Tis the gift to be simple, ‘tis the gift to be free
          ‘Tis the gift to come down where we ought to be,
          And when we find ourselves in the place just right,
          ‘Twill be in the valley of love and delight.

          When true simplicity is gain’d,
          To bow and to bend we shan’t be asham’d,
          To turn, turn will be our delight,
          Till by turning, turning we come ‘round right. 
 
  
 
May we all keep turning and turning 'til we come ‘round right.   

Enjoy the Sabbath
Love to all

Shauna 

No comments:

Post a Comment