Monday, July 8, 2013


                            



                                 SMILES

by Shauna Brown 

    Over the past 40 years I have observed an incredible phenomenon. When a positive energy source is introduced into a static, negative environment great things can happen. Either the negative source will quickly seek for an escape route or will be drawn to the positive source of energy.  Time and time again I marvel at this occurrence. 
     My sweetheart, Rick,  is truly a positive source of joy. He can instantly make a new friend, whether it’s a cashier who’s tired and irritable, or a salesman who has little hope of making a sale. Sometimes it’s a staffer who clearly would rather be somewhere else. Yet, within a matter of moments, with just a few words, a smile, or a reassuring touch, the power to change and invite the spirit of love is evident. 
   Just yesterday, Rick and I were visiting an Insta-care facility.  True to his standard, within a matter of seconds, in spite of his bleeding hand, he had the staff in stitches.  
        “Where did you find him?”  “Is he always like this?”  “Is he on medication?”    “Is there ever a dull moment in your life?” Are among the common responses I hear.   Frequently I must  shake my head, confess and confirm, “He’s just kidding.”   I admit, I felt an urgency to counter most of his teasing to insure that correct medical information was being issued to the nurse. I’m just grateful it wasn’t a life or death situation or they would have considered using a straight jacket.  
      I’m sure laughter in an emergency room isn’t common place.  Yet, once again I realized how Rick thrives in bringing moments of joy to others.  He just LOVES everyone. It delights my heart to watch him spin his magic.  
      Most of the nursing staff were drawn to his side. Truly he can be a one man show. Rarely are there standing ovations given, but I applaud his abilities and desire to make the world more interesting and filled with joy. I love to watch the smiles.  Rick has the uncanny ability and habit of bringing a generous dose of humor and fresh happiness.         
      “You made my day.”  “Come again, and soon!”  “Thank you !”  “Come back,” are common comments, and always returned with a broader smile. 
     The following capsulates Rick. . .  
   “What is the best that lies within us? Of how much are we capable? None of us yet knows. An old Arabic legend tells of a rider finding a spindly sparrow lying on its back in the middle of the road. He dismounted and asked the sparrow why his feet were in the air. Replied the sparrow, “I heard the heavens were going to fall today.” “And I suppose you think your puny bird legs can hold up the whole universe?” laughed the horseman. “Perhaps not,” said the sparrow with conviction, “but one does whatever one can.”  
       Jeffrey R. Holland, Created for Greater Things 

        . . . And so it is with Rick---Doing all that he can to make the world a better place. 
Truly, life is meant to be enjoyed.
      Can you imagine the surprised look on the visiting stake presidents face when Bishop Brown got up at the conclusion of the meeting and said aloud, "Let the congregation say -Amen! "  
  
     You should have seen all of the smiles,while my heart giggled.   
                                        AMEN !
    

No comments:

Post a Comment