Monday, July 22, 2013


Sometimes He Lets It Rain


by Shauna Brown 


    This incident happened years ago, but it has always rested upon my heart.   
    Rick and I had gone out to dinner and was enjoying our conversation and waiting for our meal to arrive, when a woman was seated across the table from us. I expected to see her husband, family, quickly join with her. Minutes passed by and she remained sitting at the table alone. Something inside nibbled at our conscience and united we invited her to come and sit with us.  She smiled with surprise and  graciously refused our offer. 
        “No, I’m fine thank you.” 
      Still we both encouraged her to come and enjoy her meal with us.  It was then she said, “It’s my birthday and my husband has given me the gift I wanted most-- enjoy a meal alone.”  
      I was shocked, and truly must have reflected my surprise. “You’re birthday!”  Spontaneously I started to sing, joined by Rick, in a familiar birthday melody. 
     She smiled with appreciation and expressed her gratitude for our rendition. Then with just a few sentences she revealed and opened our eyes to the unusual birthday gift.  She shared that many years prior she and her husband were excited to have a baby.  Yet, as life would have it he had been born handicapped and was in need of constant care. Family, friends and well meaning neighbors had strongly encouraged them to place him in a facility for the retarded and handicapped.  The young couple made the decision to keep their young son at home. It was easy to feel of her love and devotion for her son. Years of endless sacrifice had warranted and welcomed this night as a birthday wish of TIME. Time to be alone. Time to sit and allow her thoughts to wander.  Time to eat a meal in silence without having to spoon feed her son and wipe a drooling face. Time to listen to music playing. Time to observe others. Time to just sit. Time to be served instead of serving.    
    As she shared her story with us it was evident that the pressure of taking care of her son was constant and tiring.     
     “I told my husband all I wanted for my birthday was go out to dinner,” she said. “My husband is staying at home with our son Benjamin.”  
       We respected her wishes and let her savor each bite of her dinner.  
       That experience one again opened my understanding to the various challenges that many are facing in life.  I often consider and refer to them as climate changes. We observe many who seemingly enjoy a carefree and sunkissed day, while others are living with partly cloudy moments, still some are trying to survive under constant torrents of down pouring rain. 
          A few years ago I wrote a script,“Stand Against the Wind.” Within the presentation  a soloist sang a song-Sometimes He Let’s It Rain.  As she sang, it was apparent that the words were felt by most in the audience. Tears flowed as they recognized their own personal journey of climate changes. The music was written by (Tyler Castleton/ Staci Peters) 

      Sometimes He Lets It Rain 

She sees the storm clouds gather 
The sky is turning cold and gray 
She knows that something’s coming 
When she starts to feel this way 
She pleads for intervention 
But heaven offers no relief 
And she would understand if she could only see that 

Sometimes He lets it rain 
He lets the fierce winds blow 
Sometimes it takes a storm 
To lead a heart where it can grow 
He can move mountains of grief 
And oceans of pain 
But sometimes he lets it rain 

When her heart surrenders  
To the Master in control 
Her spirit learns the lessons of the tempest in her soul 
When it’s no longer raging 
She can see how far she’s come 
Through the wisdom and the mercy of the Son 

Sometimes He lets it rain 
He lets the fierce winds blow 
Sometimes it takes a storm 
To lead a heart where it can grow 
He can move mountains of grief 
And oceans of pain 
But sometimes he lets it rain 


       Sometimes God does let it rain, I know that to be true. I’m just appreciative and thankful that we can feel equally of His umbrella of loving protection.   
       One doesn’t have to look far to see that many are holding onto an umbrella of hope. I’m thankful to Heavenly Father for allowing us to observe and learn. 
     I encourage all to go and listen to the song - let it soak into your heart.
Have a sunshine day. . . with a cherry on top!
or --- go out and play in the puddles

Enjoy!
Love Shauna 

No comments:

Post a Comment