Sunday, February 3, 2013


        Treasured Clippings  

by  Shauna Brown 

I remember watching my mother nightly read the obituaries in the newspaper.  I admit at first it was a little strange - reading about dead people. But over the years as I listened to her share her insights, listened to their stories,  I have learned to appreciate those tiny strips of remembrances. 
      “Shauna,  listen to this lady’s life.” Mama would then read aloud all that the woman had accomplished within her time on earth.  Or another who had faithfully served the Lord. Pointing out how some filled their time with service. On occasions it was a life filled with trials and challenges.  Without me realizing it then, I now know mother was using their lives as a teaching model for me. Unknown strangers became of great worth while reading.  Sometimes Mother and I would find the story so touching we would end up crying together concerning an obituary.  Some stories were difficult to imagine. I found death is no respector of age, from wee babies to those in their late nineties.  
     Mother’s sweet tradition of paying tribute became one for me as well. I would pick up the newspaper and scan the faces. They were all strangers to me then. Some had long obituaries filled with great details, while others had only had a couple of lines.  Within those remembrances I have learned to value each soul. Even though I can't remember their names their lives have left me with lasting impressions and influence. Some have instilled a deep conviction to live my life to the fullest. While others have motivated me to love more and to be a light. 
      Today, as I review the obituaries I see more familiar faces - my friends. I am ever thankful for those who personally have stepped within my circle. My life has been blessed by so many valiant, good, inspiring lives. I will be forever grateful in having known them. 
I am grateful for Mother’s moments of remembrance for those who have passed on. I too have come to value the lessons within the obituaries. Most are insightful and uplifting. I have found treasures, directions and pathways within that fine print that I consider of eternal worth.
      After my mother died we came across a small slender box in the desk. Upon opening it, it came as no surprise, filled to the top were clipped obituaries of friends who had passed away-- hundreds. I smiled, as I realized it was Mama’s treasury.  Some people collect salt and pepper shakers, silver spoons and such, but my mother collected memories of friends and those she admired. I recognized a few of the faces and names. People who for what ever reason and season played their parts within mother’s lifetime, and some for me as well. 
      Yesterday, as I was reading a tribute to a mother written by her son. I was inspired by his description of her:  “She has been an irresistible  influence for good. She was so fun, and she always made sure we knew she loved us. At the same time, she made a consistent and persistent effort to have us come to know our Heavenly Father and to appreciate our Savior.”  See why I love reading obituaries?  “Irresistible - consistent - persistent" - how inspiring. What a discription and legacy she has left.     
       I frequently have sent some of my “new best friends” wishes for a happy eternity. I have blown kisses to others, and even applauded some for a life well lived.  I have jotted down guiding lines for my own life. Each life is of great worth, and signifance, even to a stranger.   

God bless you all - both sides of heaven’s veil.  Good Sabbath!

Shauna
Have a sunshine day. . . with a cherry on top!


No comments:

Post a Comment