Sunday, February 10, 2013


                               "Come Step On" 

by Shauna Brown  

     When I was a little girl I loved to go shopping with my mother. However, I feared to go up and down the escalators.  I recall with great clarity how I would hesitate to even step upon them. I was afraid that I would get caught in “teeth” of the escalators.  The crack between the steps and the side of the escalators was scary to me.  I had heard stories: how a young girl got her shoelaces caught in the stairs and it dragged her down to the basement. While a woman got her scarf caught and she strangled to death. No one knew how to turn off the escalators jaws. With my imagination I was fearful. It was clear to me that caution was necessary. I remember how frustrating I was to my parents as I would stand there looking at the moving stairwell. “Come on Shauna step on!” “ You can do it.” “There’s nothing to be afraid of.”  Their demonstrations were numerous. Mother would coach, “Step quickly Shauna, pay attention.”  But I just couldn’t do it!  I tried to figure out the timing, but I felt uneasy and unsure.  I watched with amazement as others simply stepped upon the gliding silver steps. For me it wasn’t as easy. I made sure my shoe laces were tucked in my shoes, nothing was left dangling. Finally relief and comfort came when mother or daddy would reach out their hand, stand close by my side and then together we would step upon the moving pathway.  I have reflected upon those moments as I grew in confidence with their aid and directions.  
      Emily Dickinson shared similar feelings:  
    “Hold dear to your parents for it is a scary and confusing world without them.” 
        Gratefully, the longer I live and explore this earthy experience, I frequently pause to consider the loving, continual comfort and direction.  I have come to appreciate my ability in placing my feet, faith and timing upon heaven’s steps. The unpredictable ups and down times of life helps me rely more often upon my Father in Heaven. He is very much aware of our steps. He knows what trips us, grips us, and forces us to stumble. He encourages:   
         I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left,  
       and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up.  
                       [D&C 84:88] 
     Sweet power of His unconditional love surrounds each of us. He then must be so close. 
     I remember taking each one of my own little children, and one by one teaching them how to ride the escalator. I didn’t want them to be afraid as I had been.  I would hold tightly to their tiny hands and together we would step upon the moving stairs. I pointed out the best way to get on and off and we practiced it until they felt confident.  It took time, and sometimes there were tears, but together the love came in the learning.  For added security I would place their hands upon the black rubber railing. 
     Our Father in Heaven is so very mindful of His children.  Encouraging each of us to pay attention, seek the higher road of thoughts. Hold to the rod or railing. Look up. Be of good cheer. Come follow me.  
        “Learn of me, and listen to my words; walk in the meekness of my Spirit, and you shall have peace in me.” D & C 19:23 
      Mother knew as she helped me step upon the moving escalator, that life would be filled with shifting, unpredictable, unplanned moments. I would face and do hard things. I am grateful that I was taught by loving parents that with the Lord’s help everything is possible. Every pray has an answer. Every heart can be mended. Every hurt can heal. Peace and purpose comes with faith in heaven’s possibilities.” 

Can you feel the love-- His love?  It's because God delivers Valentines on a daily basis.  

Enjoy the Sabbath! 
Love to all
Shauna 

No comments:

Post a Comment