Sunday, December 30, 2012


       Feel the Beat - -  and Love it! 

by Shauna Brown 

           I was sitting in the car listening to my new CD of music played by Jenny Oaks Baker, beautiful violin music. She was playing some Disney pieces that I’m sure we all have heard and  many of can sing along with. I was impressed with her talent and skill.  Something within the melodies made me happy and lifted. Perhaps it was a mixture of memories and moments of my childhood days and even those times of my own young family.  One minute  I was stirred with Beauty and the Beast, then taken to  Wish Upon a Star. Each melody evoked a different feeling.  Then within an instant one song came on and I was flooded with another kind of emotion. My heart felt a sense of melancholy. I couldn’t think of an occasion tied to the song to make me feel that way, but the tears were signaled and I sat in silent wonder.  What caused such a difference in my heart, within my spirit? It only took a few measures of melody to change my frame of thought.  Then the song ended and I was finding my emotions changed as the lilting melody of Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious surrounded me.  Instantly I responded with more positive vibrations. Then my thoughts were taken to question why melodies can make us feel happy and positive, to others filled with sadness, pondering, as even others leave us agitated.
    In my early teens my mother encouraged me to speak to her roses when I was watering them. At first I thought it was strange, but with her repeated council, as well as some interesting scientific studies at the time, I began to believe there truly was something of worth within my ‘rose conversations.’  Mother’s roses were the envy of the garden club.
    Might I turn our thoughts to those ‘scientific studies’ my mother referred to. There was a woman, Mrs. Dorothy Retallack,  who while taking a biology class in college ran a 
series of tests in the late 1960’s, She wanted to know if there was a relationship between the growing of plants when exposed to different vibrations of rock music and that of classical music.  Quickly she learned ‘that rock music caused some of the plants to grow either abnormally tall and put out excessively small leaves, or remain stunted. Within a fortnight all the marigolds that had been exposed to rock music had died, but only six feet away identical marigolds, enjoying classical strains, were flowering. Mrs. Retallack noted those plants exposed to Haydn, Beethoven, Brahms, Schubert, and other scores grew toward the transmitter radio, one of them even twining itself lovingly around it. The other squashes grew away from the rock broadcasts and even tried to climb the slippery walls of their cage.’ The Secret Life of Plants, p. 154-155
       Not long after her experiments others became interested in the controversial study as well. Dr.John Diamond, wrote the book, Your Body Doesn’t Lie. Testing himself and other people listening to various kinds of rock and roll, as well as classical found results which startled him. The harder the ‘rock’ the weaker people became.
     Truth is, what we surround ourselves with-- vibrating sounds can ultimately build or destroy us. Vibrations, good or bad, have an impact on how we live and feel.
     Even loud and disturbing sound vibrations are used as a war weapon to create illness and uneasiness. While on the other spectrum good sound frequencies are used to heal, restore and balance health in ill patients, as well as trauma.
      “If there is anything virtuous, lovely, or of good report, we seek after these things.”
       How many years ago were we guided to seek all that is good, and of virtuous report?
So, one should ask themselves, “What am I exposing myself to?”  “What vibrations are surrounding me? What vibes are of value in my life?”  “Who is giving off negative energy?” “Where can I turn for peace?”

       Spoken words, music, touch can have a lasting influence on our lives. No wonder softly sung lullaby’s send soothing comfort. While another song written may cause us to seek for higher greatness. Then, and sadly I find we are pounded by heavy metals and distorted vibes that will, if not given a relief will render a weaken soul. 
     So today, may we all be more aware of the vibrations, words and actions that we are emitting to others, as well as receiving.  May you and I be positive energy producers. 

 The creator of all said: “Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world giveth, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.” 

     Many musicians share how critical it is to tune their instruments before playing. We too, must daily, sometimes by the minute, tune our strings and spirits to God’s daily melody.  
    Might we all seek that which is good and worthy, thus allowing us to permeate the world with a clear tone of vibrated goodness.


   “ God knows our hearts and the melodies that we play within the strings
 of our souls. Might He beable to applaud and say, ‘Play on! ”
     ~ Shauna Brown 
       

    Enjoy Your Sabbath Day

No comments:

Post a Comment