Sunday, December 16, 2012


Thank Heavens for Inn Keepers

        by Shauna Brown 

      Each year at Christmas time I think of the inn keepers in Bethlehem who probably regret that they didn't take the opportunity of being the host to the “holy family.”  Imagine it: “We have no room,” “My bed is all ready given,”  “Sorry, the person just a head of you got the cot.”  “I have no time to even think about someone having a baby born here,” “ Wow, what a fix you’re in,” “ I have no time for this,”  “ You should have got here sooner.”
     
     This sabbath day I wish to focus upon those inn keepers who have influenced and blessed my life.    
    From my original inn keepers --childhood home -my stable few, I was warmly welcomed. My family has been a lasting strength to me.  Parents who built and founded our family on faith in God.  There in, I was taught about a loving Father in Heaven and His son, our Savior- Jesus Christ. 

       Elder Neal A. Maxwell left us a sweet remembrance: 
         “Each of us is an innkeeper who decides if there is room for Jesus!”

     Reflecting upon those, many of you, have been 'inn keepers' in my life, I am eternally filled with gratitude.  Many don’t even suspect you played the part of an inn keeper, yet your love and acts of kindness have not gone unnoticed. If I needed a bed, I’ll sure you would have found one for me. 
      There have been lessons observed which have influenced the way in which I live.  Some of your sacrifices, words of advice, words of encouragement have proven to be significant. I have marveled at the numerous times someone has shared with me an insight, an experience, that would  prove to be personal revelation, in some instances - life saving.  Countless people have been living examples of an inn keeper as they welcomed and attended to, and even some of my unknown needs.  I have been the recipient of thousands of thoughtful expressions of love and care. Many have placed my interest and needs far above their own.  
     I think of the loaves of bread, the bowls of soup, the cookies, the jello salads and casseroles. Those who have washed windows, tended my children, cleaned dirty floors, changed diapers, stood by my side, walked beside me and extended their prayers.  The many advisors, teachers and family who continue to be  worthy examples and keepers.  I appreciate the thoughtfulness of caring friends and family, as when traumatic events came knocking on my door, many inn keepers were instantly there to ease the fear and encourage faith.
     I know for a fact,  that people have been hand selected and prepared by God and placed along my pathway to show me the possibilities, to see more clearly, to feel more deeply, to trust and have faith.  I have been inspired, motivated and uplifted by so many. I am grateful to all who have opened their doors, their hearts, their spirits to willingly give of their time and genuine concern. 
   I like to imagine the writing of our earthly scripts. I am amazed at how frequently I can see the hands of God.  
      Inn keepers?  I am surrounded by them. 
     Just yesterday, a woman wearing a large red Santa hat and an ugly holiday sweater smiled at me while I was shopping. Looking me straight in the eyes, she wished aloud, “Now you have a Merry Christmas!”     Funny, but  at that moment I was feeling ‘humbug blue,’ but God pricked her heart and I felt his words. “Be of good cheer.”   
    Yes, many of you are standing by the doorway of another's heart, and I know you will open it as you have done - time and time again.

“He shall give his angels (Inn keepers ) charge concerning thee: 
         and in their hands they  shall bear thee up”   (Matthew 4:6).

   "Knock, knock"
     Who's there?


- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Strive Daily • Stand Tall • Spread Cheer

Enjoy the Sabbath!

No comments:

Post a Comment