Sunday, December 9, 2012


           BEHOLD A ROYAL ARMY

by Shauna Brown 

    I love it when Rick brings in an assortment of his neckties each Sunday morning. He narrows down his selection to three for my review. He then placed the ties a top the suit he has decided to wear on Sunday.  It brings back a sweet memory of my own father and mother selecting the tie of the day. 
      “Which one looks best?”  
      “Which one do you like ?” He routinly inquires.  After a few moments of inspection I get the opportunity to vote on my favorite one. I have noticed on a few and rare occasions that there is a shift in selection, and I am OK with that.  You see, to me the greatest and important factor is the man behind the tie. 
     Let me share: Years ago, when I was serving in a Primary Presidency were trying to think of a lesson that would stand out and make our young children appreciate and value the father in their lives.  Father’s Day was the focus.  I shared the story about Captain Moroni and what a great leader he was. I told them that Captain Moroni was the chief commander of the Nephite armies. He was a strong and mighty man who loved the Lord and loved his people. He had sworn with an oath to protect his family and the people from the enemy. Captain Moroni tore a piece from his coat and made it into a banner that he called “The title of liberty.” Upon the banner he wrote, “In memory of our God, our religion, and freedom, and our peace, our wives, and our children.” 
    Then I held up a sword.  Indicated that Captain Moroni probably carried one similar with him into battle. Then I showed the children the similarities of a man’s neck tie. It looks the same as a sword, if you hold it upside down.  I told them, “Each week when their fathers  put on their ties, they are members of a Royal Army. They too are seeking to stand for truth and righteousness. They are fighting for fatherhood, love of family, love of God.”
    Men are meant to be defenders, our knights in shining armor. Men who stand up for righteous freedoms. Sounds dramatic I know, but in all truth that is what our men are meant to be.

     I then told the children of a missionary who had served in England in 1865. His name was Albert King Thurber. While serving there he went to a pawn shop. In his journal he wrote: “Today I bought at a pawn shop corner of High St. Liverpool Road, a sword for 
1 1/2 guineas. I took the sword that I had bought into the upper room, and in prayer “Dedicated it for the defense of Zion and the Holy Priesthood, and that it might remain bright and never be drawn unworthily by me or my posterity, with whom I prayed that it might remain from generation to generation and that when drawn either for defense or instruction, the power of the Almighty might attend those who held it.”
     I felt power within Albert words and the desire of him being worthy and ready. 
‘That his (sword )  might remain from generation to generation for the defense of Zion.’  
      Well, my Zion is my family. My Lord. My country. My faith.
      I am grateful for those men in my life, and previous generations, who have placed before their wives a selection of ties.  Little did they know, we are praying for them to be armed and ready in spirit, power and purpose.       
Many think that men’s ties are outdated, restrictive, and some would even like to get rid of them. However, I contest it!  I wish to keep my personal symbol of all the ‘Knights in Shining.’ A visual reminder that we all must standup for the family, freedom, and truly become defenders of the faith in Jesus Christ. 
Today, more than ever before we find ourselves in a battle. Surrounded by the enemy and all kinds and means to destroy that which we should hold dear. So when your ‘Knight in Shining’ wonders why he got another thin and narrow gift box, for Christmas might he welcome it.  

Stand Strong Stand ReadyCharge!

Enjoy your Sabbath

Shauna

No comments:

Post a Comment