Sunday, November 2, 2014


                        Please, Pilot Me Lord


by Shauna V. Brown 

           A couple of days ago  I was observing a small airplane in flight.  I watched as it circled and changed directions. From my point of viewit looked like the airplane flew effortlessly, gliding through the clouds. I imagined how fun it would be to sit at the controls and fly here and there, overlook cities and neighborhoods, while observing  life below.  
         My mind shifted to thoughts of Orville and Wilbur Wright, who were credited with building the world’s first successful airplane.  Inspired as young boys by a toy helicopter that their father had brought home to them.  They played with it until it broke, and then built their own. That little toy was the initial spark that set them forth to create a flying machine.  
        Imagine how excited they must have felt when after years and years of tests, trials, unmanned kites, gliders, mishaps, dashed dreams, and crashes they finally succeeded. Their constant efforts to improve their craft and creation was finally realized. Surely hope and faith were resting on the wings. Today air travel has evolved, from a first flight that lasted 12 seconds to airplanes today flying round the world.  
        I shared a story at a woman’s conference which fits perfect here: 
   “On a remote airstrip almost a half century ago, a small plane was preparing to taxi into position for takeoff. An unexpected storm system was approaching with heavy rain and gusty winds. It had already started raining and the wind was picking up. Suddenly a lone figure, with his coat over his head ran from the terminal to the plane, his silhouette outlined by lightning. Upon seeing the man on the runway the surprised pilot shut down the twin engines and opened the door. The man came on board, had a rather heated exchange with the  pilot, and then turned to the eight passengers. “My name is Walter Beech,” I am the designer of this airplane and I supervised its construction.  I know what it can do and what it can’t do. This plane is not designed for weather this severe and I urge you to get off with me now. I know your destinations are important and this represents an inconvenience, but please don’t remain on this plane.” 
        The pilot interrupted angrily. “I have been flying this aircraft for years and I, too, know what it can do and what it can’t do. If we avoid further delay we can get ahead of this storm. I urge you to stay on board. I will get you to your destination.” 
        One woman stood and walked forward to get off the plane with Walter Beech.                     The two watched as the plane left the ground, climbing several hundred feet. Then what began as a slow roll quickly became an ugly, uncontrollable spin as the aircraft fell from the sky. All aboard were lost. The woman standing with Walter Beech was Eleanor Roosevelt. She would later tell reporters, “I felt it wise to take the advice of the designer and builder of the airplane.” 1         
        I am impressed that Eleanor quickly following the advise of the designer of the Beechcraft Airplane, and probably the prompting from above.                  
        “Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding, In all thy ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct thy paths.”  Proverbs 3:5-6 

        Pilots are expected to create a flight plan, check fluid levels, routinely inspect their airplanes. These procedures are intended to be completed prior to lift off, hopefully insuring safe travel.  
We too need to implement procedures and plans to our life. Shouldn’t we, as well, seek council, and direction from our creator?  Our Father in Heaven knows our limits. He knows how we can withstand the turbulent storms, sudden wind shifts and moments of distraction that shall surely come.   Do we know where we are going? What is our intended destination? What do we routinely check to make sure we are on course? 
At times our life controls seem beyond our reach, yet we must stretch, and take hold of the throttle while seeking  a higher attitude as well as altitude. ‘Look to God and Live, and develop faith unwavering.   
“With God nothing is impossible, for He is very much aware of the details and complexity of our making.   
        I often ask Heavenly Father, “What is the purpose of my life? What was I created to do here on earth?”  I want to know. I want to see as He sees, become all that He designed, and crafted within me.    I like to imagine that He held me. Then with a gentle push He sent me on my way - gliding into life.   

        Enjoy Your Sabbath, 

        Love always, 
        Shauna


1 - Dan Stuecher, (When I’m Needing a Fresh Start, pg 78)

No comments:

Post a Comment