Saturday, October 11, 2014


            Snap Happy        by Shauna Brown 




               Last night my grandson, Jamison, came up and asked, “Grandma Sunny, can I please have some Snapdragons?  Then he added, “ And can I get some more seeds too.”  I smiled, as I have clipped numerous bouquets of snapdragons upon each visit.   Last time we loaded up Ziploc bags with seeds, millions of seeds, shaking them from the dry buds.  I’m sure there will be dragons popping up in their yard next spring. Imagine all the possibilities.  
               When I was young I watched as my own mother, gently picked the flowers and harvested the seeds. We placed the seeds in large manila envelopes.Then in due time and season she planted them. With each little sprout and spear she smiled, eager for the bloom. It was magical to me to watch it grow. Ours was an incredibly beautiful  garden. One might call it a ‘cottage garden’ for within was planted varieties of flowers and shrubs. Bluebells, Lilies of the valley, Baskets of gold, Roses, ferns, Daisies, Iris, Pansies, Carnations, Snap dragons, Tulips, Peonies, Chrysanthemums, and on and on.   
              One would have marveled at my mother’s green thumb, and green it was. With effort, knowledge and love , our garden grew and thrived. I often thought it must have been much like the Garden of Eden, it was that beautiful to me.   
             It is of little wonder why digging deep into dark earth and planting seeds and bulbs I find a sense of joy and satisfaction. Perhaps one would say this feeling was handed down to me.  I am one who talks with my flowers, who cheer leads, and encourages their sprouting time and thrill with each bloom or blossom, just like Mama did.  I’m sure my mother must be tickled, as she watches me  from heaven as I demonstrate the incredible workings of the ‘snapping dragon’ to another  grandchild--her great grandchild.  We gather seeds just as she did with all hopes that we too can enjoy red, yellow, pink, white bouquets and scents from heaven.  I marvel with each delicate blossom.  
             Life is, seed upon seed, generation upon generation, which stretches back to our divine creator.  Did we know where and when we were to be planted?  
        Don’t you ever wonder how we were taught in heaven? Did we watch as creation tasks were begun, as seeds were plucked and planted? Did we listen closely as glorious possibilities were explained? Did we echo smiles of hope and trust? I like to envision stepping within the presence of our creator and realize that I grew where I was planted. Then, I would see all who urged and cheered me on, as my life’s purpose rose towards the sun.   
        C.S. Lewis was inspired by a fellow writer whom he even once praised with a compliment of  “master”, so inspired by his writing.  I love this thought as it captures each one of us on such a personal level.   

        “I would rather be what God chose to make me than the most glorious creature that I could think of; for to have been thought about, born in God’s thought, and then made by God, is the dearest, grandest and most precious thing in all thinking.”  ~ George MacDonald 

       With so many years now, in my growing season, I have come to appreciate that I was made by God- I am His seed. By a miracle and love I was planted deep within the dark earth of the gospel.  Gratefully, there are many moments when I know He has whispered words to encourage my growth. Words that warm my soul and make me burst with joy and color.  In all truth I want to grow and thrive and forever bloom - just the way God intended me too.  
       I love snap dragons, and memory moments in my childhood garden. Once again, in my garden I can cherish the time when young hearts bounce with enthusiasm and ask, “Can I please pick some a snapdragons from the garden.”  We pinch it’s face and make it talk, and snap away. I giggle, for I know that the seed has been planted once again, and the love will continue to grow. Perhaps I shall have memory moments for my seeds, and seedlings. I’m sure there must be snap dragons in heaven, for they beckon me to squeeze. 


Enjoy your Sabbath 
With Love Always, 
Shauna

No comments:

Post a Comment