Sunday, October 26, 2014


              

                   Take My Breath Away!


                                                                                        by Shauna Brown 

        One of my very favorite memory moments of life was when our babies took their first breath. We held our
breath until they took theirs.  Gratefully it was followed by tiny cries, as well as our own.  I was blessed to have six of those delightful -heavenly, breath taking experiences.  As we take that brand new baby home, bundled in blankets, and long anticipated love, we worry. We are always checking to see if they are breathing.  I would watch their little tummies rise and with each breath would feel relief, peace and gratitude. 
There is a popular quote, that reads...  
“Life is not measured by the breaths we take,  
but by the moments that take our breath away.”  

        Now, don’t think poorly of me while I tell you, that in order to get my baby’s attention at times, to distract them,  most often when they were fussy,  I used to blow gently upon in their face.  They would blink and gasp, and frequently a smile would surface. Then, they would look to me for reassurance.  With my little gust of wind, and a returned smile, they would forget what they were crying for.  It worked time after time. 
        I realize at times our Father in Heaven needs to get our attention as well.  If we were always bundled up in fleece and flannel experiences... we wouldn’t appreciate the needed warmth when the cold chilly winds blow and intense storms are pending.  Life will be made of experiences that will at times take our breaths away. I have had gasping, heart wrenching, air sucking moments, but interestingly [ looking back ] they can refresh and renew our spirit of faith.  
                “It was meant to be that life would be a challenge. To suffer some anxiety, some depression, some disappointment, even some failure is normal.  Teach our members that if they have a good miserable day once in a while, or several in a row, to stand steady and face them. Things will straighten out. There is great purpose in our struggle in life”         ~ Boyd K. Packer     
  
        A good Bishop, while giving me a blessing once said,  “You  will come to understand long suffering, but there will come an end to it.”   I have held onto those words like a rainbow promise.  

            As part of God’s plan each of us came to earth to face different challenges, it’s part of our learning and Earthly education.  According to carefully scheduled and timed experiences we learn that some of us will swim in deep waters, wondering if we can maintain our head above the water. Frequently we observe that others are carelessly floating beside us, almost relaxing.
        I think about how often I blew in the face of my little newborn. Our Heavenly Father too, allows blowing gusts of wind into our faces to get our attention and ultimately His wish is to have us turn to Him. Once He has our attention He then cradles us with renewed love and whispers peace unto our minds. Gratefully I have felt heaven’s beathe upon my wet cheeks when anxiety found way to creep into the corners of my soul.  I know that Heavenly Father can lift any heart that is heavy and burdened. 
Years ago I came across an  Irish Blessings:
May the raindrops fall lightly on your brow. 
May the soft winds freshen your spirit. 
May the sunshine brighten your heart. 
May the burdens of the day rest lightly upon you, 
and may God enfold you in the mantle of His love. 

I like that-- ‘God enfolds you in the mantle of His love.’

  Or how about His very promise: 
“Wherefore, be of good cheer and do not fear,
for I the Lord am with you and will stand by youD & C 68:6.  


Since it’s Monday - Enjoy your Week!

I guess I should say - “Let it Blow”

Love always,
Shauna 

No comments:

Post a Comment