Sunday, August 17, 2014


                                          Take Note


by Shauna Brown 

          I can’t remember when I started, but I have  carried a notebook or journal with me  for years.  
I probably have a hundred of them. Whenever I attend church, firesides, seminars, etc. Taking notes helps me concentrate on the meeting. Allowing me to listen and hope for a great idea or motivating thought.  I know some people have order in their journals, dates and times, but in looking within mine, one will find notes, sketchings, doodling, random thoughts, key words or phrases that might not make sense to anyone. To be honest even after a few months they might seem strange to me.  Anyway, I continue to take notes.  One never knows what stories, or some incredible book might be triggered from something scribbled on a page. I write in hopes of remembering a moment valued.     Let me give you an example of one of my jottings:   

        Today the bread used for the sacrament was forgotten. 
        Miscommunication. 
        Waiting for it to arrive. 
        Music plays on.  
        Red faced young man enters  
        Music plays on, as bread is quickly broken in to pieces. 
        Extra time for thoughts to focus upon Christ. 
        Remembrance. 
        Imagine. 
        The young man will never forget the bread again. 
        But do we?  
        Do we think about Christ enough?  
        The loaf of bread left on the kitchen counter- 
        Forgotten. 
        Do we willingly partake of His love? 
        He never forgets us. 

        Perhaps the note speaks to my heart alone. Yet, even in the recalling of the moment I can feel and relive the moment.  Gratefully it is renewing to my soul.  

        How about this one: 
                                My little Granddaughter Paige,is an artist. To the dismay of her parents she is leaving her two year old signature on many surfaces throughout the house.  Many walls have had to be scrubbed. Even, Mr. Clean Super Eraser has been employed in their house. Anything that is stationary for more than thirty seconds has received of her artistic touch. Couches, chairs, tables, and doors.  Listening to Brittany (my daughter ) describe her frustration in this matter, brings an instant remembrance for why I wrote a song.   “Crayon marks will disappear.”   
         
        Life is filled with random jottings and colored markers moments.  

        Each of us has an empty page to fill each day. Let’s write down that thought provoking idea, look for those ‘aha’ moments. Doodle a bit, perhaps even take a bright orange marker and draw a sunflower. Maybe today I will use crayons and draw a rainbow as I remember it--  just because I can.   I love remembering, but I love living!  

        Albert Einstein shared:  
        “There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a 
miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.”  

        So this Sabbath - let’s look for the miracles. 


        Love Always, 
        Shauna  

No comments:

Post a Comment