Sunday, August 31, 2014


Spray on
by Shauna Brown 

I love spray paint!   
I continue to be amazed at how quickly a good coat of enamel can take something rusted and worn, and bring it back and make it look new again!  Today the terminolgy used by many in this procedure is called “repurposed, recycling or upcycled.”  Amazingly it can be a realitively quick fix that brings about an incredible and sometimes even dramatic change. You’ve seen it I’m sure, a simple coat of paint can cover, conceal : scratches, remove discoloration, change colors, even give it a new texture and appearance.  Whala!  I usually stand back, admire the work, and give myself a pat on the back for even thinking about “saving it.” 
    ‘Renewing’, upcycling, an old rusty light fixture yesterday has led my imagination to contimplate how wonderful it would be if something so simple as applying, spraying, rubbing, a spray of “renewing” to my soul would be.  The thoughts of an upcycling procedure to my spirit on a daily basis makes me smile.   I mean, personally I am hard on myself. I frequently give myself dings and dents, rusty spots and scratches:  “Why couldn’t you,”  “You should have”  “Come on! “ “You can do better.” “What were you thinking.”, etc.  My  expectations of self can sometimes be difficult and daunting.  
Imagine the Ozone levels, if such a blessed can of spray even existed. Opening a cupboard, and reaching for the can on a shelf would be fantastic! ...or possibly too simple of a process or quick fix for God’s perfection? 
A couple of months ago I came across a thought by Elder Joseph B. Wirthlin that is like a can of renewing spray to my soul.  
           “Perseverance means to continue in a given course until we have reached a goal or objective, regardless of obstacles, opposition, and other counterinfluences...Perseverance is a positive, active characteristic...It gives us hope by helping us realize that the righteous suffer no failure except in giving up and no longer trying.” 

Our Father in Heaven is aware that our lives will be full of bumps, bruising, dings and dents.  We will encounter countless smudges, scars and stains. Yet, gratefully I have learned that my Savior is the master of renewall. He is the ultimate in refreshing, upcycling and mending seemingly useless things.  He clearly knows our value, our worth, for He is our redeemer.  He renews us personally and declares it so, as He clearly focuses on the possibilities within each of us. His touch is perfect. He can mend all things, making them even better. 
“Though we are incomplete, God loves us completely. Though we are imperfect, He loves us perfectly. Though we may feel lost and without compass, God’s love encompasses us completely. ... He loves every one of us, even those who are flawed, rejected, awkward, sorrowful, or broken.”  Pres. Dieter F. Uchtdorf

So, this Sabbath day let’s think about the incredible healing art of the master. Time and time again He is there with grace and peace. Instilling within our matter the reason to matter. 

SPray on! 

Love Always
Shauna 

No comments:

Post a Comment