Sunday, June 8, 2014


OPEN UP YOUR  HEART and  LET THE SUNSHINE IN!



by Shauna V. Brown 

  I am continually amazed at our ability to recall memories, events, and even melodies. 
       Growing up in our home, music was valued. I loved it when mother and I would sit at the piano, and song by song we would sing music. I loved lifting up the seat of the piano bench, to find a variety of sheet music and song books. Some of the music was old, 
and yellowed with time.  Sometimes mother would stop by Hart Brother’s Music Store, and purchase a song she had just heard on the radio, or sung at church.    I remember watching as she slipped the  sheet music from the brown paper bag. She was excited, almost as if she had brought me home a special, sugar treat.  Looking back, I think it was far better.   We would quickly make our way to the piano, spread the music open and begin our site reading.       
      Just the other day while driving to work, I began to sing a song. It was one I had learned as a little girl. I was amazed. I giggled, as it once again surrounded me with childhood thoughts and memories of Mama’s sweet tutoring. I could sing it, as if it was yesterday, recorded on my mind for time and all eternity. 
    Thinking about the lyrics, I realize now just how much words, and melody can influence, and penetrate the soul.  Some ask me why I always seem so happy. Perhaps it comes from a lesson learned at a piano bench.

OPEN UP YOUR HEART  by Stuart Hamblen

Mommy told me something a little girl should know
It’s all about the Devil and I’ve learned to hate him so
She says he causes trouble when you let him in the room
He will never ever leave you if your heart is filled with gloom

So, let the sun shine in, face it with a grin
Smilers never lose and frowners never win
So, let the sun shine in, face it with a grin
Open up your heart and let the sun shine in

When you are unhappy, the Devil wears a grin
But oh, he starts a-running when the light comes pouring in
I know he’ll be unhappy ‘cause I’ll never wear a frown
Maybe if we keep on smiling he’ll get tired of hangin’ around


If I forget to say my prayers the Devil jumps with glee
But he feels so awful, awful, when he sees me on my knees
So if you’re full of trouble and you never seem to win
Just open up your heart and let the sun shine in

So, let the sun shine in, face it with a grin
Smilers never lose and frowners never win
So, let the sun shine in, face it with a grin
Open up your heart and let the sun shine in
       

   I believe with full heart that we choose each day, if we are going to be happy.   
Might I share one of my favorite quotes, which has been a source of peace, and light to me. 

“It isn’t as bad as you sometimes think it is. It all works out. Don’t worry. I say that to myself every morning. It all works out in the end. Put your trust in God, and move forward with faith and confidence in the future. The Lord will not forsake us. He will not forsake us. If we will put our trust in Him, if we will pray to Him, if we will live worthy of His blessings, He will hear our prayers.”   Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley

     Note that he said, “I say that to myself every morning...  ‘It all works out.”  Each and every day we are at a crossroads of possibilities. We choose to let the sun in, or wait and worry in the darkness of doubt.  
     I’m thankful that Mama brought home that piece of sheet music, for I believe I learned much more within the measures,  than just the melody.

     Sing on everyone! Go forth and spread the sunshine! 

Find a song that lifts your spirits, and brings the light.
   Within the measure you too, shall see the blessings .

Enjoy your Sabbath

Love Always,
Shauna 

No comments:

Post a Comment