Sunday, June 15, 2014


                                                   “Go give them Heaven”



by Shauna V. Brown 

        Years ago I had the opportunity of teaching seminary at Waterford School, a private school in Sandy, Utah. I loved it! I enjoyed preparing my lessons, and observing the students who sought to assimilate the doctrines and teachings of Christ. 
Each morning, the seminary faculty would meet together for prayer, after which, Roger Christensen, my leader and good friend, would extend a statement that I came to appreciate and value:  “Go give them heaven.”  It always made me smile, but also instilled a sobering challenge. ‘What would my Heavenly Father wish me to express, to teach and to testify of today?’
“Go give them heaven.” 
Four words, broken down. Go - Give - Everyone - A Taste of Eternal Life
I continue to think and ponder upon that simple phrase each day, as I watch hundreds of youthful faces pass by my office doorway. I  have come to realize that a bright smile, a warm hello, a compliment, a word of encouragement,  might bring about a simple reminder of who they are, and who loves them. Trying to live my life in such a way to extend a portion of “heaven” helps me to focus upon His love. 
Life isn’t perfect. There will be bumps and bruises, deep gashes of pain, and moments when our breath is taken from us. It is within those times I have come to know just how personal, how close, how caring our Father in Heaven is. The amazing grace to me is that I know He is mindful of each of us. I can ponder upon the experiences of my life, and quickly realize how often He has carried me, lifted me up, inspired, healed, and truly loved and spoiled me.   I know He hears my prayers, and wipes away the tears, and calms my fears... because, that’s what I believe Fathers do.  His promises are real. He can move mountains, change hearts, define purpose and instill the possibility.  He knows every detail of our lives, and to me, that is an incredible miracle. 

“We can communicate with our Heavenly Father through prayer, and those prayers will be heard and answered — perhaps not how and when we expected they would be answered,but they will be answered, and by a Heavenly Father who knows and loves us perfectly and who desires our happiness.” Pres. Thomas S. Monson

So, this day, I am thankful for all the Fathers in my life: my own loving earthly Father, my sweet husband and Father, but most of all, I am ever grateful for my Heavenly Father.  This afternoon we will launch our balloons into heaven. A great symbolic moment, as we seek to extend our thoughts and expressions of gratitude to a loving Father in Heaven.  I guess it will be our way of giving back to heaven.

Enjoy your sabbath

Love always,
SHAUNA

No comments:

Post a Comment