Sunday, November 17, 2013


                         

                                             Vertical Momentum?

by Shauna Brown 

  When I was in high school I had the desire to become a cheerleader.  Yes, those girls wearing short skirts, pompoms, cute as a button and then some. I knew I had all the pep and enthusiasm and definitely a loud voice - perfect fit for me! 
After the announcement for tryouts I spent weeks constantly practicing  routines, round-offs, high kicks. However, the ultimate goal for me was to learn how to do a front flip. Many of the other girls knew how to do flips effortlessly. 
I recall with great clarity one day as I was in the back yard practicing.  My older brother Richard was attempting to be my spotter. Mother was cheering me on as I tried to learn how to do a simple front flip. I’m sure they both could recall that experience  as well.  I thought all one needed to do was to get enough momentum and simply tuck and wala = flip.  However, I always landed on my back.  
     It finally got to the point where all of us were laughing at my attempts, move over Carol Burnett. If someone was in need of comic relief, my acrobatic movements certainly would have filled the need.  Over and over we tried all angles with little success. Disappointment and failure, began to set in. I think mother and Richard both realized I was without even a trickle of hope.  Yet, I can hear mother encourage, “Don’t say can’t - because you can Shauna!” But I all truth I couldn’t. I got to the point that my only prayer in becoming a cheerleader was a hope in my smile, ability to do the routines, wave the pompoms in the air and cross my fingers that my enthusiasm  alone would sway the judges and student body.     I finally concluded that I must place my hope within the hands of the Lord. If faith could move mountains, I was certain that by some outstanding thrust of faith I could rotate in such a way to wow everyone.  
Votes were cast and I once again realized: “I guess I wasn’t meant to be that back bending, high kicking, ever flipping and bouncing cheerleader.”  However, I held on to the reality that I still had a great smile, enthusiasm, and could use my cheering voice from the bleachers.    
     Just this morning I Googled how to do a font flip. What a difference a simple article could have meant fortyish years ago. Watching a YouTube on how to do a flip was eye opening. Do you know it only takes five basic steps to do a flip? There is a set order to follow to achieve and complete the  “front tuck,” “punch-front” or a “front somersault.” 


The article said:  
     “Many people find it hard to do because you can’t see the landing point; the flip can only be completed if you commit yourself to it fully. Once you learn the proper form and prepare accordingly, however, it’s actually a simple move that can be easily mastered.” 

    Easily mastered? Why then did I end up out of breathe, bruised and beaten down? It is clear to me that what I lacked in my pursuit of a flip was a ‘going up’  - vertical focus, instead of merely leaning forward!  I know I was committed.  I could run and generate the momentum, but beyond that it was simply a disaster. I hadn’t learned the steps of how to perform a flip. Fact, I hadn’t envolved a coach or someone who knew how to do a flip into my pursuit. I didn’t even know there was such a thing as a landing point.  
     Today, I ponder where my lifes landing point is. Where do I wish to land?  Have I have defined it well enough. Do I practice my vertical commitment frequently? Who is my instructor? Or do I once again consider using the : ‘fake it till you make it’ attitude? Have I gone to the source where I can learn how to reach that eternal landing point?  

    “Whenever you want to achieve something, keep your eyes open, concentrate and make sure you know exactly what it is you want. No one can hit their target with their eyes closed.”   ~ Paulo Coelho 

        Isn’t that what we all want to know about our personal journey of life. Where does God want us to be, and what does He want us to become?  Are we seeking continual, committed vertical momentum? 

      I have wondered if my life would have taken a different path if I had become a cheerleader. Where are my goal posts positioned? 
I guess that is why I like the thought of L. M. Montgomery, (Anne of Green Gables fame) :
                “The little things of life, sweet and excellent in their place,  
                must not be the things lived for; the highest must be sought 
                and followed; the life of heaven must be begun here on earth.”  

        I know that God had a different landing point for me.  My cheerleading days would evolve around the four walls of my home.  I was meant to be a fulltime cheerleader for my family. There is no routine, no high kicks visible, no pompoms,  but what a blessing to know that I landed smack dab in a place where high fives, hugs, smiles and ‘good job’ can be routinely bestowed.  I love being a mother!  I love being a grandmother!  I love being!


Enjoy your Sabbath!   You can do it!   You can do anything! 

Love Always Shauna 


No comments:

Post a Comment