Sunday, May 5, 2013


Heaven's Blessings

by Shauna Brown


              My daughter Brittany, welcomed her 5th child into the world on Friday afternoon. Once again I felt heaven at my fingertips.  Joy!  
              Marvelous, incredible, sacred, amazing, awe-inspiring, remarkable, wonder of wonders is the gift of life.  Reverence, gratitude, just barely begin to scratch the feelings held of such a precious gift from God.   
              Within my memory I recalled with equal appreciation my own ‘growing’ experiences. Swollen feet, swollen hands, morning noon and night reflections in the pool of water. Months in bed filled with humble petitions for patience. Reading numerous books of how to raise a child. Painting cribs, sewing blankets, imagining how my life would be as a mother. I treasure the memories of my conversations with my unborn child.  How blessed I feel to have been mentored from on high, as well as encouraged, cheered on by a most loving husband.  Grateful for numerous prayers and blessings that linked my faith to heaven.  Motherhood has created a vast variety of ‘growing’ seasons in my life.   
              My own dear mother stood within the doorway of death with her first child. She was only nineteen.  Doctors indicated that she and the baby would not live through the pregnancy. She had Eclampsia, which at that time gave little hope for survival. Imagine waking up to find yourself surrounded by the ward bishop, home teachers, her sweetheart and the mortician. They were discussing and encouraging the young father to prepare for her funeral.   
            It was then mother closed her eyes and underlined in her mind, a phrase from her patriarchal blessing. It had promised her that she would have sons and daughters if she lived righteously. She allowed the words to distill within her prayers. She reviewed the life she had lived. It was then she concluded she had lived a good life, tried to follow the teachings of the Savior, been a most obedient daughter. So, why then would the good Lord deny or withhold a blessing?  
            I testify that miracles do happen,  prayers are answered, God shares his love, and so it was with my mother. Both mother and child survived. It was a miracle!  My sister Miriam, weighing under three pounds spent her first days nestled in a shoe box. Imagine it!  My sister wore doll clothes for months because she was so little. Mother having been so sick, and losing so much weight she had to learn to walk again.The doctors encouraged mother never to have more children, as the risks were too high. Little did they know that mother’s ‘growing season’ had forged a stronger testimony, driven her faith higher, and trusted in God’s promises.  She brushed that counsel off with, “What do they know, God is  in charge.”    
          I’m grateful she and daddy went forward with their dreams and desires. The promises held within their patriarchal blessings would come to life. One by one came more blessings. In total my parents welcomed four sons and two daughters onto the stage of life. Mother was forty years old when she was pregnant with her last child. One can only imagine how joyful their day was when the finale came and it was ME!  
          Over the years I enjoyed watching my mother hold my newborn babies in her arms. She would kiss them gently on the fold of their little neck, "It's the best little spot, they smell so new from heaven."   She would study their little faces and smile and give gentle squeezes.  I'm sure she was reviewing her own miracles, and memories. At least - that's what I do. 
      So for all who have squeezed and kissed a baby in this life, take time to blow a kiss to heaven. As I'm sure it must be so difficult for our Heavenly Mother to bid them bye.  
            
Enjoy the Sabbath.  
     Oh, I just found out.  Brittany and Steve are going to call our newest addition ~ Ava Joy.    Sounds like heaven!

   Remember - Blow a kiss today!

No comments:

Post a Comment