Sunday, January 20, 2013


Precious Moments

by Shauna V. Brown 

      Yes, it Thursday and I'm just a few days late, let me explain: Last weekend Rick and I got the fun experience of tending four of our grandchildren ranging from ages 2 to 7. Thus, the reason for not writing on Sunday. It was a weekend that brought a flood of sweet and reflective memories.  
      When I had three little children,  I felt impressed to write a song. The melody came quickly. I called it Peanut Butter Kisses. It was generated by my children’s peanut butter fingers, messy faces and the reality that kisses were welcome no matter how sticky- icky.  More than that I knew that some day those moments would vanish and would be missed.   Let me share the last verse: 

Tomorrow is coming, my time with them is past. 
It’s only thru these memories that these days will surely last.
Dear Father, thank you greatly for sending them to me
My only wish is Father, I’ll have them for eternity.
Crayon marks will disappear, the scratches they will  heal.
Stories told to sweet ones, the closeness that they feel.
Tomorrow is coming, I see my life in a special  way,
 I get tickled when I hear them say, “ I love  you, I love you,”  
I love Peanut Butter Kisses, A bear hug ‘round the neck    
 Swing me high among the clouds and blowing breeze.
Run with me a among the tallest trees.
Love me  now and  through  eternity! 

Yes, with four active young grandchildren I once again wiped away tears, tied shoe laces, cleaned dirty faces, buttoned shirts, changed diapers, wiped up spilt juice, picked up toys over and over again, and enjoyed the sounds of children playing. 
     I wish to share a tender moment I enjoyed with my two year old granddaughter, Paige.  I think she looks like a Precious Moment figurine. Her eyes and small features make you just want to squeeze her.  
        I had reached the point in the day when breathing becomes easier and anticipated - bedtime. I had zipped Paige into her snuggly warm poka-dot pajamas, the ones with feet in them.  I held her close and wondered how many times had I zipped my own children into their pajamas. I did some math and figured it to be around 18, 090 times- give or take a few zippings.   We settled in the rocking chair where a stack of books were awaiting to be read. Paige then cuddled closer and I felt to sing a family favorite lullaby: “Tender shepherd, tender shepherd, let me help you count your sheep.”  
        Within a few measures while singing I glanced over Paige’s head into the hallway. There within a large picture frame on the wall was my youngest daughter, Brittany. She seemed to be looking straight at me.   Instantly my voice quivered and the melody began to break.  Tears rolled down my face.  What seemed to be like yesterday faced me directly: My little girl all grown up, a mother now and expecting her fifth child. 
     Paige looked somewhat puzzled as to the tears. Then as if to make it all better she tenderly patted my wet cheek. With her caring, 'precious moment'  eyes it caused my emotions to flood even faster. I could no longer carry a tune, and my throat became dry.  It was then I gave Paige a gentle hug, a long one, and rocked her more.  Perhaps I was rocking me. In so doing I felt comfort and  “home again.”  
     There is something about watching your children grow up and take your place in this earthly journey. They are the ones who now scrub the crayon marks, kiss the hurts, fill up the bathtub with bubbles, sing the baby’s lullaby, catch the grasshoppers in Miraclewhip jars, worry about fevered bodies, tell stories and cuddle their little ones close. Did I hug enough, did I tell them that I loved them enough, did I teach them of God enough? Did I?
       I know I experienced some highs and lows in raising my children. I faced  blue cloud days as well as enjoyed the 'dripping in sunshine' moments of motherhood. There are days when I wish I could back up and listen to the sounds of laughter and giggles again.  My young season of motherhood has past. My peanut butter song written thirty five years ago holds the truth: Tomorrow is coming, and I do see my life in a different way. I find that I never will out grow being hugged or told, "I love you Mommie." 
      In all that is within me, in every thought and prayer I want my children and my children’s children and beyond to be with me forever--for eternity and no less. 
      So, Sundays With Shauna was placed on hold as I sat on a church bench with little wiggly bodies.  I then went to Primary.  My grandson Noah, gave a talk and I reflected still. Then it sounded like heaven as we sang the song,"I Am a Child of God"  --- and felt the circle of love and a heaven's lullaby in my heart. 

      May we all treasure our precious moments.
Enjoy!
Love to all
Shauna

No comments:

Post a Comment