Sunday, September 23, 2012


Delicate & Dedicated White 

by Shauna V. Brown 

   This morning I tucked a small white handkerchief into my journal and carried it to church. I would be using it later as part of a the Brigham City Temple Dedication service. 
     After my mothers passing I inherited a box filled with her dainty handkerchiefs. Since then I have gifted most of her delicate linens to loved ones.  Today, I decided my mother would enjoy knowing that I was carrying a bit of her memories, for me, into the sacred setting of a temple dedication.
    When the Jordan River Temple was dedicated  November of 1981, Rick was heavily involved with the open house. Because of his service  Rick and I, as well as Scott and Heather were invited to attend that temple dedication in the Celestial Room. I also got to sing with the temple choir at another of the sessions. So this morning it caused me to reflect once again upon those sweet moments and memories. I was well filled as I meditated upon the purpose of such an event. Grateful that today so many could attend while sitting in stake centers,allowing them to feast upon the messages spoken as well as those felt within the heart.
      I pondered upon the word “dedication.” I believe, it was much more meaningful to me, as I renewed the dedication  of my heart and soul unto God. It was a time to refocus upon my commitment, and remembrance of who I am.  
    Memories of temple dedications, temple sealings, temple beginnings, temple baptisms, temple pondering and temple pleadings, drifted through my heart as I pondered. It made me think of Rick and his "Born-Again" experience as a young 15 year old Methodist.  Grateful that God allows us numerous opportunities throughout our mortal journey to recommit and dedicate our lives to Him. Blessed am I to have so many memories to reflect upon. 
     As I held my mother’s delicate hanky in hand I thought of her hands. To keep me quiet on Sundays during sacrament meetings she would magically fold the hanky into a variety of shapes and forms, much like unto origami. One moment she would have what appeared to be a bird, and then a rocking cradle, and then a fat cat. But today, as I held her hanky my thoughts shifted to how she and daddy helped to form and shape my beliefs and testimony. They were living examples of those willing to give everything to God. They were totally committed to help center Christ in my life.
      I remember on Fast Sunday’s when Mother would  reach over and give a squeeze to my hand. Perhaps to draw my attention and make sure that I was listening. She would then stand and boldly bear her testimony in church.  She always held a hanky close as tears were most predictable. As a child I could only imagine  the courage it would take for mama to stand before a congregation and testify of truths. Somehow her words made me feel to sit a little taller.  Little did I know then how she was tucking and folding into my character strong beliefs of Jesus Christ. I have thanked my Heavenly Father over and over again for my parent’s tutoring and their daily examples. Their lives were key to my childhood, and ever constant during my youth. Even in their later years they pressed forward with courage.  Being the youngest in the family I was blessed to observe so many lessons. Faith, trust, patience, humility, sacrifice were great teachers in my development. 
     Today as I held Mama’s hanky in my hand and raised it high. I raised my voice of thanks for not only Jesus Christ coming into my life, but for my parents who valued Him in theirs.  Hosanna, Hosanna, Hosanna! 
      Mother was always one with a story to aid in teaching moments.   So, to follow in her footsteps... I would hope we all would consider the waving of the white hanky much like a sign of “surrendering” durring a battle. Surrendering our "will " unto the work of the Lord.  
   I love the way Elder Neal A. Maxwell speaks of surrendering....
“As you submit your wills to God, you are giving  Him the only
         thing you can actually give Him that is really yours to give. 
         Don’t wait too long to find the altar or to begin to place the
         gift of your wills upon it! 
No need to wait for a receipt; the Lord has His own
 special ways of acknowledging.” 
    Elder Neal A. Maxwell 

    May each of us hold up our white handkerchiefs and surrender our will unto God. 
A Day of Dedication ~  our dedication. Not of stone or cut glass, but of our broken hearts and spirits.
            The Brigham City, Utah Temple Dedication .   September 23, 2012

Have a sunshine Sabbath. . . while waving a white hankerchief!
Love to All

No comments:

Post a Comment