Sunday, July 6, 2014



                         Happy  Everything!



by Shauna Brown 

         I love garage sales! As a young bride,  my mother-in-law first introduced them to me years ago. Since then I have found treasure upon treasure, and have enjoyed timeless memories, as I have reviewed and remembered items from my past. “Oh, I had one of those when I was growing up.” “Grandma, had a dish just like that.” I frequently giggle when I find a toy, similiar to one, once held by my own children’s hands.  
         Some thirty three years ago, I wrote a play, Within the Four Walls, centered around a family’s garage sale. The leading couple, who had recently passed away, found their married children preparing for an estate sale. Peeking through the veil, the couple was stirred by the items that helped them to recall the many miracles, precious moments, and spiritual tutoring within their earthly time.  
        You can imagine it, I’m sure, you’ve seen garage sales-- items piled high upon table tops, clothes hanging from the garage doors. Objects are bulging within crates and bins, flowing from garage to front yard. People are eagerly digging through boxes and bags, while some are dickering for a better price.  Everyone in hopes of securing something that they consider a treasured or needed find. 
Trust me, it’s fun! 
            Yesterday, we followed the signs that led to a fundraiser/ garage sale. Many friends and neighbors had gathered together, and donated items to raise money for a young fourteen year old girl in their neighborhood, who is in need of heart surgery. Her picture was placed upon a table top. As I looked at her picture, one of  her neighbors came up to me and said,“She’s a wonderful young woman. She could use any help. We are  trying to raise enough to lift the family’s burden. We are hopeful for her.”  I nodded my head.   “We’ll take any offer you make,” she added. 
I wanted to buy something. I looked around. I didn’t need bedding, curtains, skis, or tons of baby clothes.  Then I saw it, a large polka-dotted platter. It didn’t fit any of my “need - want” evaluation criteria. However, it instantly made me smile, as I read the words written upon it: Happy Everything!  
        Happy Everything!  Sometimes we only celebrate birthdays, or Valentines, and Christmas is usually a happy time. In reality-- it should be a happy everyday, and everything!  Happy- every adventure, happy -heart, happy -attitude, happy thoughts.  
         Yes, I know there are always ups and downs in this life, and heaven only knows we pay good money to go and ride on a merry-go-round.  But even then we seem happy, contented, the music plays on, and we go round and round with a smile on our face. 
        My donation was small in comparison to the sweet reminder written on a platter.  Happy Everything!  I must continue to ask myself each day, “What are you dishing out Shauna?” or “Who will I serve today?”  “Feed my sheep.” “Can I make someone’s day better- a touch happier?” “Can I lift a burden?”   
        Things are just things until you define their purpose and value. 

        “Happiness is not a possession to be prized, it is a quality of thought, 
         a state of mind.”   ~ Daphne du Maurier 

        Yes, garage sales, even a play written years ago about a family’s garage sale, still generate the message of living with purpose, appreciating the lessons learned within the four walls, and then some.  It reminds me that our loving parents in heaven have encourged us to “Go forth, be of good cheer, and serve well.”  
            Now, when you have a moment stop by a garage sale and see what it mayhold for you.” 

        Enjoy your Sabbath as you enjoy a happy everything around you.  
         
        Love always 
Shauna 


No comments:

Post a Comment