Sunday, May 18, 2014


                            Prayer  Ritual?


by Shauna Brown 

         I have thought often about the rituals that were woven into my life.  Reflecting upon them, there were many. But for this morning I will focus upon one of them.
Prayer.  When I think of prayer I am grateful for parents who taught me how to pray, why we pray, to whom we pray. Pretty much my life was filled with stepping stones of prayers.  Some of them seemed so common, so everyday, especially blessings upon the food. More meaningful to me were our Family prayers.  Morning and night my parents would have us all gather together in a circle upon our knees, in our living room.  After prayer there were hugs and kisses extended. I truly felt the feeling of ‘heaven on earth.’ 
Then at night was the ritual question mother asked, “Have you said your prayers?”  Sad to say I once told her, “One should not have to be prompted to pray.” But, now looking back my mother was merely trying to instill within me the deep dependance upon relying on God. At different stages throughout my life there were pleading prayers, beseetching prayers asking the Lord for guidance, direction and assistance. Numerous prayers were offered in behalf of family and friends facing cancer, troubled marriages, trauma, sickness, lonliness, spiritual darkness, just to address a few. 
     One prayer I shall never forget, was a prayer I heard my Mother offer.  I was almost twelve at the time. She was in her bedroom, kneeling by her bed. The door was open just a crack.  Gratefully it wasn’t an unusual site to see her praying, but as I walked past the doorway I heard her speak my name aloud. Of course I was drawn immediately to listen. As she spoke to God about me it became so personal, so sweet and purposeful. I could feel of her love, genuine concern and desires in raising me. There was something so strong within her words that I knew she was seeking the maker of my soul.  Now mind you, little did I give my parents any reason to worry. But that day will long be cherished, as I listened  to my mother’s side of the conversation with God. It was crystal clear that she knew she couldn’t raise me without His help. That moment was a marking point within my soul, and became a repeated experience with my own children. I have been humbled at times to the core, wondering, worrying, heart sick and often could only find peace and confidence upon my knees.  
As Rick and I were driving one day we saw a sign on the side of a church,  it read, “Drive Through Prayer.”  I shook my head in wonder and admitedly jested, “What will they come up next with?” We turned our car around and followed the arrows that led to where a prayer would be extended in our behalf. I mused inwardly ‘ how can one truly think that a drive through prayer will make a difference?’  
A kind and welcoming woman walked up to our car. We shared our interest in the sign.   It was most apparent she had heard comments of similiar interest. 
“We just ask what you’re in need of, offer a prayer in your behalf, and send you off with God’s blessing.”  
Now I’m not going to question the intensions of the Drive Through Prayer. It was evident of  her devotion and interest in those who chose to drive through.  Perhaps to some it’s the only indication that they have time to give to the Lord.  
I know prayers have been answered in my behalf. I have recieved answers, tender mercies and miracles. Peace has flooded my heart when I have taken the time to petition and converse with the Lord. What a blessing it is to believe ‘that with God - nothing is impossible.’ 

        “Prayer is not asking. It is a longing of the soul. It is daily admission of one’s weakness. 
It is better in prayer to have a heart without words than words without a heart.” 
~ Mahatma Gandhi

“The function of prayer is not to influence God, but rather to change
 the nature of the one who prays.”  ~ Søren Kierkegaard

“The best way to obtain truth and wisdom is not to ask from books, 
but to go to God in prayer, and obtain divine teaching.”  ~ Joseph Smith Jr.

“Let us never forget to pray. God lives. He is near. He is real. He is not only aware of us but
 cares for us. He is our Father. He is accessible to all who will seek Him.” 
~ Gordon B. Hinckley

“Prayer is not asking. Prayer is putting oneself in the hands of God, at His disposition, and 
listening to His voice in the depth of our hearts.” ~ Mother Teresa

“I have been driven many times upon my knees by the overwhelming 
conviction that I had no where else to go. My own wisdom and that
of all about me seemed insufficient for that day.” ~ Abraham Lincoln

“You pray in your distress and in your need; would that you might pray 
also in the fullness of your joy and in your days of abundance.” ~ Khalil Gibran

      “Is prayer your steering wheel or your spare tire?” 
~ Corrie ten Boom

  I will be forever grateful for those ritual words my mother would ask each and every night, “Have you said your prayers?” 
May we all pause for a moment this day and ponder upon our own personal meaning of prayer.  Might we reflect upon how, through kind and tender mercies , they have been answered. 


    Enjoy this Sabbath Day 

Love Always,
Shauna 

No comments:

Post a Comment