Thursday, April 18, 2013

                         Never on Sunday 

 
         by Shauna V. Brown  
 
     Well, I have a modern day miracle to share.  Years ago, and I mean years ago when our little family lived on Hunts End Drive, in Sandy, Utah, our washing machine gave out. With a growing family of eight members one cannot imagine trying to keep clothes clean without a washing machine.  However, things were tight.   A new washer was out of the question.   
        It was a television commercial that guided our direction of purchase.  “Used appliances= washers, dryers.  Dan, Dan, the Maytag man."
       At that point of time the pile of laundry was reaching proportions of  a growing mountain.  I tried the best I could to wash the necessities, but it was impossible to keep up with it.  In fact, it reminded me of my childhood days when laundry was only done on Saturday with the help of every family member.  That was before we had a dryer.  I can see us now all working in the basement.  Everyone had their positions.  One rinsing, one cranking the ringer, one running the clothes through the two rollers, one shaking the clothes ready to hang, one securing the clothes to the clothes line.   Wow, what a memory of childhood.

         So Rick went to “Dan, Dan the Maytag Man” appliance store  and purchased a used washer and dryer.  When the men delivered the washer and dryer they looked just like it was indicated “used”.   I thought: Well if it makes it through a couple of months -- till we can afford to buy a new set  - it will be a miracle.   
        Then I decided to give that “miracle” thought a test of time.  I remember saying a prayer and expressing to my Heavenly Father a little promise.  I offered in faith,  “Father,  I will not wash on Sundays.  It will be a day of rest. Wilt Thou bless this washer and dryer that they will run and not be weary.” 
        Well, here’s the miracle.  We lived in that home another six years and never needed a new washer or dryer.  Then we moved to Pepperwood and lived there for thirteen years. Each time we loaded up the pair and then we moved to Cedar Hills. Are you doing the math?  All the time our washer has been most faithful and dependable.   Now, remember we purchased my Maytag washer and dryer “used”- very used.  Thankfully they are still running!   
    I am a firm believer in miracles, prayers, and promises.   So if anyone wants to see a miracle.  It’s been washing clothes for a good thirty five years for the Browns. 
        It’s like the Lord saying, “Take a load off-- your mine.”

No comments:

Post a Comment